452 East 149th Street
HERE TO HERE seeks a full-time Career Specialist to conduct outreach and recruitment activities that secure partnerships with private sector employers willing to provide paid internship and apprenticeship experiences for high school youth. The Career Specialist will work closely with Summer Youth Employment (SYEP) Providers who partner with HERE to HERE network high schools in the Bronx and with anchor employers. The Career Specialist’s work will support key initiatives including the Bronx Private Industry Council and the Summer Internship Campaign.
The Career Specialist will prepare SYEP providers and employers to receive young adults by identifying employer needs (skills, job functions), developing appropriate internship projects, ensuring a smooth and mutually beneficial matching process, and developing and facilitating an on-boarding series for young adults. The Career Specialist will support employers and students through the internship experiences by facilitating ongoing communication and relationship management.
The Career Specialist must be able to work effectively with employers, youth, and HERE to HERE team members, especially the High School program team. This position reports to the Vice-President of Strategic Partnership for Summer Placements and Internships
HERE to HERE’s focus is to enhance career pathways for young people growing up in low-income neighborhoods, beginning with in-school youth and in New York City, with a focus on the Bronx. We work closely with high schools, postsecondary programs (particularly CUNY and its Bronx campuses), community-based organizations, public officials, and employers. Our goal is that by 2020, 10,000 young people will be on the path to or in a family-sustaining career due to the efforts of HERE to HERE to drive systemic change.
The successful candidate possesses the following attributes, attitudes and skills:
- Experience in job development, sales, outreach, or recruitment; experience with employer engagement preferred. Track record of meeting sales, recruitment, or production goals.
- Knowledge of partnerships with public education (NYC DOE and CUNY preferred).
- Familiarity with NYC Summer Youth Employment Program (SYEP).
- Knowledge of approaches that connect the developmental needs of young adults to real world learning.
- Ability to communicate effectively with young people; appreciation for the unique life experiences of each student.
- Five years of experience in youth development or school-based work, BA or equivalent real-world experience preferred.
- Commitment to HERE to HERE’s mission, values, and achievement of its stated goals.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Develop employer prospects in the Bronx, assess level of employer engagement and deepen connections to the workforce and education systems, and recruit targeted numbers of employers annually to host internships. Develop and implement engagement and recruitment events.
- Employer relationship management – maintain a set of relationships with established employer partners and be the primary liaison to developing relationships.
- Identify areas for future investments to advance the employer engagement agenda and bring appropriate partners to the table.
- Utilize internal data sources to reflect on past performance, and review publicly available data sources to inform HERE to HERE’s strategies in meeting the needs of local employers.
- Work with employer partners to develop quality internships and other work-based learning experiences, particularly for high school students and possibly apprenticeship programs for recent graduates/students enrolled at Bronx CUNY colleges. Utilize IMBLAZE Internship Management Platform for opportunity tracking.
Private Industry Council
- Staff the Private Industry Council Task Force by co-developing engaging agendas, preparing participants, and conducting follow-up to ensure that progress is made between meetings as part of the overall plan. This includes reaching out to education partners to foster career pathway development between high school and postsecondary institutions.
- Develop useful documents for engaging employers in the PIC Task Force and capturing effective employer practice(s).
- Track employer participation in a range of events as well as externally sponsored events that are relevant to PIC mission/agenda.
- Facilitate and manage relationship between SYEP providers and HERE to HERE network high schools to ensure students apply to SYEP, participate in career readiness workshops, utilize ImBlaze, and are placed in programs and internships. Work with SYEP provider staff to ensure they enter opportunities into the ImBlaze system and participate in HERE to HERE trainings and events.
As a member of the HERE to HERE team:
- Support programming and implementation of all HERE to HERE events
- Uphold strict level of confidentiality
- Work occasional nights and weekends
- Participate in regular staff and other internal meetings
- Perform other duties as assigned
Required Skills & Knowledge
- Strong project management skills; ability to manage multiple and simultaneous priorities, stakeholders, projects and deadlines.
- Ability to effectively present information both orally and written to individuals and groups. Succinct writing skills; compelling presentation skills.
- Knowledge of database, spreadsheet, and word processing software as well as cloud-based programs. Fluency with Microsoft Office Suite (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint), and Google Suite. Strong data entry and database management skills.
- Able to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
- Ability to work with multiple constituent sites, including travel by public transportation throughout the Bronx and New York City.
- High level of adaptability and reliability.
- Forward thinking and proactive approach.
- Follows through on all projects and communicates in a timely fashion.
- Communicates thoughtfully and empathetically.
- Comfortable with working within an ever-changing and growing organization.
- Ability to interact respectfully with people of diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and cultures.
- Commitment to service, compassion, social justice; willing to engage with and support colleagues and partners in addressing systemic barriers to youth success; personal commitment to young people growing up in low income communities.
HERE to HERE offers a competitive salary and benefits package. HERE to HERE is committed to building a diverse staff and encourages applications from people of color.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply, send a letter of interest and resume to: careers@HEREtoHERE.org with the subject “Career Specialist Application”. Applications will be reviewed as they are received.