Details: Compensation based on experience
2550 Kerner Boulevard
Reporting to the CFO, this hands-on position manages the Food Bank's day-to-day accounting function including the general ledger, financial statement preparation, bank and investment account reconciliations, contract invoicing, fixed asset accounting, accounts payable and receivable, and some tax preparation. In addition, this role conducts financial analysis and contributes to development and implementation of accounting systems and processes. The Controller supervises one full-time Senior Accounting Associate responsible for processing A/P and one full-time Senior Accounting Associate responsible for processing agency A/R and donations.
This position is based in our San Rafael facility with one day per week in San Francisco. Training and onboarding will take place in our San Francisco facility for the first three months. Audits and other organizational needs may require working from San Francisco as well.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Prepare monthly internal financial statements including posting of monthly journal entries, reconciliation of cash and investment accounts, and preparation of appropriate back-up documentation and supporting schedules
- Maintain and update the chart of accounts, performing system updates as necessary
- Prepare schedules and reconciliations for annual financial statement audit; act as primary liaison between the San Francisco Food Bank and external auditors
- Maintain all subsidiary schedules of balance sheet accounts including fixed assets, prepaid expenses, etc.
- Conduct account analysis and reconciliation including tracking and reporting of restricted funding
- Prepare budgets for Federal, State and local government contracts; prepare and submit invoices (including appropriate back-up data) for same
- Provide budgets and reporting documentation for private grants using organization’s functional allocation of expenses and other sources
- Assist in preparation of annual operating and capital budgets as well as two mid-year forecasts
- Define and implement accounting policies and procedures
- Establish and monitor internal controls
- Monitor banking relationships including checking accounts, lock boxes, company credit cards, and stock donation account
- Work with CFO to manage cash flow throughout annual ebbs and flows
- Supervise accounts receivable process including the processing, entry and posting of all invoices, as well as proper reconciliation with inventory reports
- Supervise accounts payable process including preparation and processing of vendor invoices, review of invoice coding and authorization, and posting and distributing of checks
- Other duties as assigned
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in complex and sophisticated accounting environments with thorough understanding of nonprofit accounting principles, cost accounting, budgeting tools, and GAAP. CPA preferred but not essential.
- Strong computer skills including experience with ERP systems and proficiency in Excel and MS Word.
- Ability to work thoroughly and accurately in a fast-paced, results-oriented culture of accountability and measured outcomes.
- Creative problem-solving and sound critical-thinking skills with strong sense of ownership.
- Good project management skills; excellent ability to organize and prioritize work while operating independently with little supervision.
- Experience supervising staff including setting expectations and maintaining a collaborative work environment
- Good oral and written communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills with ability to work and interact well with individuals (staff and volunteers) from a variety of socioeconomic backgrounds in a culturally diverse environment.
The SF-Marin Food Bank is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We strive for a workforce as diverse as the community we serve. Women, people of color, and LGBTQ individuals are strongly encouraged to apply.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records
We provide excellent medical, dental, generous 403B retirement plan, FSA, life insurance, competitive salary, vacation, sick and holiday leave, career development, celebrations and activities.
Minimum Education Required