Senior International Advocacy Associate, Francophone West Africa Region
- Job posted by Population Action International (PAI)
1300 19th Street NW
At PAI, we are motivated by one powerful truth: a woman who is in charge of her reproductive health can change her life and transform her community. PAI is a global organization that champions policies that put women in charge of their reproductive health, including access to contraception, and safe and legal abortion. PAI achieves this through a 50+ year presence in Washington, DC, advocating with those who drive policy change, and defend against policies that harm women and girls. We also make it possible for local civil society organizations throughout Africa, Asia and Latin America, to access the funding, training and partnership they need to achieve policy change in their own local context. We are simultaneously on the front lines and in the background, focused first and foremost on the impact our work has on the lives of women and girls around the world.
The contribution of our 40 experts and staff is multiplied by an exemplary board of directors, and further leveraged by the work of partners in more than 17 countries. We pride ourselves on a strong set of institutional values that prizes excellence, teamwork, integrity and mutual respect. We hold firm our commitment to people, and as such we offer a generous benefits package, great work/life perks, and a flexible environment in which each individual is supported to be their best selves.
We are seeking a dynamic, strategic, motivated advocate to join our International Advocacy team as a Senior International Advocacy Associate. Under the supervision of the Senior Director of Advocacy and Policy, and working closely with the Advocacy and Policy team, the Senior International Advocacy Associate will be responsible for ensuring synergies across PAI’s advocacy work in Francophone West Africa. PAI’s work in the region is implemented by individual project managers across multiple restricted projects. In collaboration with the existing team, the Senior International Advocacy Associate will continue to develop and refine PAI’s regional strategy. The Senior International Advocacy Associate will be tasked with supporting CSOs in Francophone West Africa to lead advocacy efforts at the national and regional levels to ensure the necessary programs, policies and resources are in place to ensure access to high-quality, effective and affordable family planning and reproductive health services. The Senior International Advocacy Associate will also focus on expanding and intensifying work in Francophone West Africa, as well as strategic entry points and opportunities at regional and country levels.
- Master's degree and 5+ years of relevant experience or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Oral and written fluency in French and English.
- Experience working in partnership with civil society organizations at the national and subnational level to achieve policy advocacy objectives to advance health priorities in Francophone West Africa. Experience with family planning and reproductive health preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to manage and implement multi-country projects in a timely, efficient and successful manager.
- Ability to travel internationally at least 30% time.
- Lived or worked in West Africa a plus.
- Team player with a sense of humor, collaboration and creativity.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Project Management: Support PAI staff who are managing restricted projects covering Francophone West Africa region to ensure that project work plans are implemented in an efficient, effective and timely manner; ensure project milestones are achieved within a given timeframe; manage and monitor project budgets; oversee implementation of monitoring and evaluation plans; work with senior staff at PAI to provide strategic direction for regional work; collaborate with the Communications Department in targeted outreach regarding work in the region, as well as in the development of project related materials for target audiences and PAI’s website; collaborate with the Development Department in proposal writing and reporting to donors on progress; manage internal and external meetings related to various Francophone projects; manage relationships with external partners and consultants relevant to Francophone projects.
- Grants Management. Support small grants process within projects where relevant including drafting of request for proposal, vetting and review of proposals, coordinating the award of funding and monitoring and communicating with the grantees.
- Subject Expertise: Respond to requests for technical assistance from advocacy partners in the region or other external partners working in the region; provide analysis to PAI staff and partners on regional activities and efforts to make policy change, including reproductive health news and trends.
- Analytical Writing: Develop and write policy advocacy materials with an aim to communicate complex technical issues to a policy and advocacy-oriented audience.
- External Representation: Represent PAI using consistent PAI messaging, build strong collaborative partnerships with colleagues in other organizations and coalitions and provide subject matter expertise externally at domestic and international conferences, meetings, events, and coalitions as needed.
- Events. Plan, execute and facilitate events and meetings with external and international partners as needed in order to achieve objectives for Francophone projects.
- Other duties as assigned
Salary: $70,000 - $80,000
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please submit a cover letter, resume and, short writing samples in both English and French by September 21, 2018 to email@example.com. Please indicate in the subject line the position to which you are applying. This is NOT an entry-level position. Candidates should detail their advocacy experience as well as their experience working in or with partners in Francophone West Africa in their cover letter. PAI is an equal opportunity employer and a family-friendly organization offering a competitive benefit package