With 3 million members, Working America mobilizes working people who don’t have the benefit of a union at work to fight for good jobs and a fair economy. As the community affiliate of the AFL-CIO, we unite working people in urban and suburban communities around a shared economic agenda.
The Senior Office Manager, with minimal supervision, ensures that the field canvass administration runs effectively and efficiently in their assigned office(s). The position provides administrative support for more than one field office and/or project.
Reports to: Field Director
Description of Duties:
-In collaboration with the Field leadership team:
- Research, assess and develop local recruitment opportunities and sources for job advertisements;
- Manage and staff on-site recruitment events, develop and make presentations to community groups;
- Develop recruitment materials;
-Manage and respond to all incoming job inquiries; track job call information. Contact job candidates and conduct telephone screening using judgment to determine which candidates to advance in interview process;
Training and Support
-In collaboration with the Field Administrative Specialist:
- Provide support and training for new Office Managers including onsite training;
- Develop and update training materials for Office Managers;
Financial and Human Resources
-Serve as liaison to HQ Payroll and Human Resources:
- Timely submit personnel and payroll related information to include but not limited to new hire, change (e.g. benefit eligibility) and separation paperwork; process payroll, track leave and attendance;
- Maintain accurate personnel files.
- Serve as liaison to Accounting:
- Manage canvass deposit information, postdate deposits, reconcile petty cash, process charges collected in the field and manage charge log;
- Assist in expense tracking for reimbursements, election and lobbying reporting. Create and/or maintain additional record systems as needed;
- Create and maintain a system for sorting and tracking letters generated by the canvass;
- Regularly check letters for accuracy;
- Work with Regional Director to ensure timely submission letters and other types of calls to action;
- Maintain campaign and program background information for the canvass;
- Review crew sheets and signature sheets to determine potential concerns for falsification and policy violations;
- Make verification calls as directed by the Field Director.
Office and Canvass Administration
-Direct and coordinate administrative support for the Field Office:
- Develop and maintain office operations and procedures;
- In collaboration with the Field Director, serve as point of contact for building services;
- Greet incoming guests, answer phone calls and e-mails, process incoming and outgoing mail;
- Inventory and manage all office supplies and reorder according to policy. In collaboration with the Field leadership team, research and recommend vendors for office supplies and material;
- Train staff on use of office equipment; maintain all office systems;
- In collaboration with the Field Director, assist with preparing and disseminating staff communications;
- Manage the production and inventory of all canvass materials including all printed material, depleted observer clipboards, applications, hiring packs;
- Process information requests from the public making sure that they are directed to the appropriate people;
- Help maintain a neat and professional office appearance;
- In collaboration with the Field Administrative Specialist, create and test field administrative and tracking systems.
-Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Skills Needed:
- 2-3 years’ experience as a Working America Office Manager or its equivalent;
- Strong in-person and telephone communication skills;
- Ability to work independently, with little supervision, and exercise appropriate judgment in completing duties;
- Strong computer skills, including e-mail, internet, Word and Excel. Database experience a plus;
- Appreciation and understanding of labor issues, and understanding canvassing as a grassroots organizing strategy;
- Detail oriented and organized;
- Financial, human resource, administration and payroll experience a plus;
- Work well as part of a team in a multi-tasking, detail and deadline oriented environment;
- Consistent and reliable attendance;
- Ability to work long and irregular hours.
- Minneapolis, MN
- FLSA Classification: Exempt
Competitive salary and benefits package includes health insurance and 401(k) with employer contribution.
Minimum Education Required