218 West 40th Street
NAF is a national network of education, business, and community leaders who work together to ensure high school students are college, career, and future ready. NAF’s educational design ignites students’ passion for learning and gives businesses the opportunity to shape America’s future workforce by transforming the learning environment to include STEM infused, industry-specific curricula and work-based learning experiences, including internships.
Since 1982, NAF has been partnering with high-need communities to improve outcomes for students by implementing NAF academies – small learning communities within existing high schools. NAF has grown from one NAF Academy of Finance in New York City to hundreds of academies across the country focusing on growing industries including: finance, hospitality & tourism, information technology, engineering, and health sciences.
During the 2017-18 school year, over 100,000 students attended 644 NAF academies across 36 states, including DC and the US Virgin Islands. In 2017, NAF academies reported 97% of seniors graduated with 90% of graduates planning to go to college.
The Assistant Controller is a vital member of NAF’s Finance Team, and works with the General Ledger, Budgeting, Grants, Payroll, Billing and Receivable functions. This position reports to the Senior Director, Finance and requires a detail-oriented, highly motivated and organized individual who has experience with Great Plains Accounting software. The individual must be able to work independently, possess problem solving ability and build productive working relationships with staff based in the headquarters and around the country. S/he must thrive in a fast-paced, “all hands on deck” work environment in which flexibility is expected. Good communications skills a must.
- Preparation of monthly financial statements and Actual vs Budget internal reporting for NAF departments for review by Controller and CFO
- Ensures the fiscal books and records are formally and timely closed each month
- Assist the Senior Director, Finance with developing and implementing the organization’s annual budget, including implementation of all program and contract/grant budgets
- Oversight of the payroll function; backup in absence of the Senior Accountant.
- Prepare monthly internal reports for all restricted funding in association with the closing schedule
- Bachelor’s (Master’s preferred) degree in accounting or finance related field
- CPA or parts of exam passed
- Public accounting experience preferable
5-7 years of progressively responsible experience in a not-for-profit setting
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of “best practices” in financial accounting and audits
- Ability to draft budgets and grants proposals is preferred
- Self-starter with good organization skills and the ability to work independently
- Superior knowledge of Great Plains (version 2013) and Excel
- Ability to pay attention to details and deliver under deadline pressure
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the position title, your first name and last name in the subject line.
Minimum Education Required