Arnold Ventures is a philanthropy whose core objective is to maximize opportunity and minimize injustice. We are dedicated to tackling some of the most pressing problems in the United States. We invest in sustainable change, building it from the ground up based on research, deep thinking, and a strong foundation of evidence. We drive public conversation, craft policy, and inspire action through education and advocacy.
The Communications team at one of the largest philanthropies in the country is looking for an experienced and innovative content creator who thrives on making the complex accessible and the important inspirational. The Communications Manager will partner with our Criminal Justice programmatic team to strategize and execute communications content to support the portfolios’ goals and change policy.
Reporting to the Director of Communications, the Communications Manager will create, solicit, and edit targeted content including written stories, op-eds, video scripts, fact sheets, and presentations. The ability to humanize compelling stories in multiple formats and distill complex systems and ideas is crucial. This position requires cross-organizational collaboration and relationships, and the ability to quickly gain expertise in a variety of strategic areas. This position will be located in our Houston or D.C. office.
· Develop editorial calendars and a regular cadence of content in support of the CJ team’s policy goals, to serve as the backbone of strategic communications plans that include owned, earned, and paid media
· Create and commission content, including digital stories, informational graphics, video storytelling, fact sheets, op-ed submissions and more
· Strategize and plan editorial board, interest group, and event visits in support of policy change
· Manage a stable of freelancers and studios in order to flex capacity and access expertise
· Review and guide the development of issue briefs, solution papers, written public testimony, and requests for proposals
· Bachelor’s degree in journalism, English, communications, political science, public policy, or a related field
· Minimum of 5 years of experience as a writer, editor, digital content creator, or in a related communications role
· Experience developing and executing editorial calendars and communications plans
· Extensive writing and editing experience
· Proven success at communicating across a wide variety of platforms (i.e. digital, print, speechwriting, etc.) and audiences (i.e. general public, practitioners, public officials, etc.)
· Exceptional project manager with extraordinary organization skills and attention to detail
· Knowledge of criminal justice policy issues
Our Culture and Core Values
Our culture seeks to inspire and empower our people to innovate and develop bold ideas that will help Arnold Ventures achieve lasting impact. Our culture, and the core values that support it, should create an environment that spurs our team to think outside the box, feel comfortable pushing the boundaries of what is possible, and signal confidence in our team’s ability to make change happen through our philanthropic efforts. Although not an exhaustive list, below you’ll find examples of Arnold Ventures’ work culture.
· We have a proven commitment to and passion for racial and social justice.
· We are adaptable and comfortable with ambiguity.
· We are intellectually curious, open-minded, objective, humble, collegial, and receptive to feedback.
· We are action-oriented with strong self-direction and self-motivation skills with the ability to work simultaneously on multiple projects.
· We are able to interact confidently and collaboratively with team members and navigate relationships with external experts, government leaders, advocates, and individuals impacted by the justice system.
Arnold Ventures’ values are integral to our lived experience. They genuinely reflect who we are as an organization, help us accelerate our strategic goals, strengthen our resolve, anchor us to our mission, and guide our decision-making. The successful candidate will also demonstrate the following core values that inspire the Arnold Ventures team to make a difference.
Arnold Ventures is an equal opportunity employer, committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender identity or expression, marital status, sexual orientation, disability, military/veteran status, or any basis prohibited by applicable law.
Acknowledging the importance of diverse perspectives, Arnold Ventures is committed to employing individuals from a variety of backgrounds and with a variety of experiences. Members of historically marginalized communities and candidates who have been impacted by the systems we are seeking to change are strongly encouraged to apply.
Arnold Ventures is a philanthropy whose core objective is to maximize opportunity and minimize injustice. We are dedicated to tackling some of the most pressing problems in the United States. We invest in sustainable change, building it…