9 East 19th Street
The Institute for Transportation and Development Policy (ITDP) promotes sustainable and equitable transport worldwide. ITDP is a nonprofit organization headquartered in New York City with offices in Brazil, China, India, Kenya, Indonesia, Mexico and the United States. ITDP’s programs focus on bus rapid transit, non-motorized travel, travel demand management, parking, transport policy and urban development. More information about ITDP can be found at www.itdp.org.
ITDP is seeking a fulltime, entry level Accounting Coordinator to join its headquarters team in New York City. The Accounting Coordinator will oversee and process transactions in the NY office bank accounts and assist with the US audit. This position will report to the Finance Manager. S/he will be expected to work creatively and communicate effectively with the Director of Finance and Administration, Operations Coordinator, colleagues throughout ITDP and vendors.
- Process all accounts payable, including staff expense reimbursements, field staff salaries, consultant invoices, inter-office transfers, vendor billing and company credit card bills; verifying accounting coding, contracts, backup documentation and approvals.
- Review and correct discrepancies for transactions in Intacct, corresponding with staff and consultants to solve discrepancies and confirm payments.
- Make bank deposits.
- Assist in the annual audit.
- Gather reimbursable expenses for funders and third parties.
- Review monthly bank statements for NY accounts, making necessary monthly closing entries and performing a soft reconciliation.
- Generate monthly Shared Expenses reallocations.
- Monitor checking bank account cash flow and monthly expenditures.
- Process bi-weekly payroll for the US staff and collect and review timesheets for all staff.
- Other general accounting duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- 1 year experience working in an accounting related environment and/or accounts payable; a combination of work and internship experience is also acceptable.
- Experience with Intacct, Microsoft Word and Excel required; experience with ADP Time & Attendance, ADP WorkForce Now (or other integrated payroll system) preferred.
- Basic knowledge of accounting, including journal entries, general ledger, financial reports and double entry accounting.
- Ability to manage time efficiently, especially to discern and prioritize urgent requests.
- Strong communicator with excellent written, oral and interpersonal communication skills.
- Strong attention to detail and problem solving skills.
- Fluency in another language a plus: Mandarin, Spanish or Portuguese preferred.
- On-the-job training in nonprofit and/or international organizations, with similar challenges a plus.
- Familiarity with Salesforce.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Accounting Coordinator” in the subject line. No phone calls, please. Please note this is an entry level position.