730 Polk Street
TITLE: Accounting Manager BENEFITS: Yes
DEPARTMENT: Finance STATUS: Full-time, Exempt
REPORTS TO: Controller CLASSIFICATION: First/Mid-Level Officials/Managers
LOCATION: 730 Polk Street San Francisco SUPERVISES: Staff Accountants
The Accounting Manager maintains oversight for all areas relating to financial reporting. This position is responsible for developing and maintaining accounting principles as well as practices and procedures to ensure accurate and timely financial statements. The Accounting Manager will supervise Finance Staff member(s) and is be responsible for managing the team to ensure that work is properly allocated and completed in a timely and accurate manner.
This position addresses tight deadlines and a multitude of accounting activities including general ledger preparation, financial reporting, year-end audit preparation and the support of budget and forecast activities. The Accounting Manager will have working contact with POH’s Managers, Directors, CEO and Finance Committee that requires strong interpersonal communication skills both written and verbal.
- Bachelor’s Degree with emphasis in Accounting and Finance or degree in other related field
- Prior experience as Senior Accountant. Must be PC proficient and able to thrive in a fast -pace setting. Experience with an Accounting ERP system, preferably MIP Sage Fund Accounting is a plus. Must have strong experience with Microsoft Excel.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal, supervisory and customer/client service skills required.
- Ability to multi-task, work under pressure and meet deadlines required.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Obtain and maintain a thorough understanding of the financial reporting and general ledger structure.
- Ensure an accurate and timely monthly, quarterly and year end close.
- Ensure the timely reporting of all monthly financial information.
- Ensure procedures are performed and initiated according to GAAP requirements.
- Ensure the accurate and timely processing of journals during the month.
- Ensure the monthly and quarterly Bank reconciliations are performed in a timely and accurate manner.
- Ensure all PBC list requirements are reviewed and completed prior to deadlines.
- Ensure Grants are reviewed accuracy and submitted by deadlines
- Supports agency-wide budget and forecasting activities.
- Collaborates with the other POH department managers to support overall Agency goals and objectives.
- Monitors and analyzes department work to develop more efficient procedures and use of resources while maintaining a high level of accuracy.
- Responds to inquiries from the Controller, and other Agency-wide managers regarding financial results, special reporting requests and the like.
- Work with the Controller to ensure a clean and timely year-end audit.
- Supervise the general ledger group to ensure all financial reporting deadlines are met.
- Assist in development and implementation of new procedures and features to enhance the workflow of the department and the entire Agency.
- Provide training to new and existing staff as needed.
- Handle personnel issues relating to staff conflicts, absenteeism, performance issues, etc.
- Work with each direct report to establish goals and objectives for each year and monitor and advice on the progress to enhance the professional development of staff.
- Support Controller with the daily Accounting and Finance activities, as well as, special projects and workflow process improvements.
- Other duties as assigned.
JOB COMPETENCIES/SUCCESS FACTORS:
- Team player: Demonstrates cooperative spirit, respects professional boundaries and is successful at sharing responsibilities with others
- Self-led: Knows and completes responsibilities in assigned timelines, asks for clarifications when needed
- Sensitive to the circumstances and needs of the critically ill and seniors, as well as people with mental health and substance abuse issues
- Customer oriented: Works well with all customers (internal staff and external contacts), promotes a positive image of the agency and works diligently to resolve customer issues
- Poised: able to maintain a calm, positive and constructive attitude during interactions with diverse populations, sometimes in challenging situations
- Ethical: Honest, accountable, maintains confidentiality
- Decisive: Thoughtful when considering options, seeks input from others, makes difficult decisions when necessary
- Knowledgeable: Understands facets of job, keeps job knowledge current
- Well organized: Information organized and accessible, maintains efficient work space, manages time well
- Strong communicator: excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Technical savvy: Skilled with computers, proficient with function appropriate technology, learns quickly, uses technology to enhance job performance with the interest and ability to learn new technology
- Leadership I: Completes all assigned tasks in a timely manner and is able to identify projects or work needed for future completion. Anticipates needs before they are assigned. Recognizes themselves as a departmental or function representative
- Detail oriented: Meticulous and thorough when entering, reviewing and providing information
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT: The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Physical demands: While performing duties of job, incumbent is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit for long periods of times; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; talk and hear. Employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 40 pounds unassisted. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus
Work environment: The noise level in the work environment varies from quiet to loud. The temperature in the work environment will range from cold to warm
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
All applications must be submitted through our website.