Director of Workforce Training and Deconstruction Services
- Job posted by Evanston Rebuilding Warehouse
Details: Salary commensurate with experience
2101 Dempster St
The nonprofit Evanston Rebuilding Warehouse (ERW) was founded in 2011 to reduce building materials from entering the wastestream, promote reuse, and rebuild lives. We operate a 13,500 square foot warehouse in Evanston, IL open to the public and full of donated building material. We offer deconstruction services to homeowners that want to save their building materials from landfills. And we run a paid workforce training program that provides job readiness and on the job training in deconstruction.
The ERW seeks a Director of Workforce Training and Deconstruction Services to join the organization’s senior leadership team. The Director will lead and grow our deconstruction services with homeowners and workforce training program to train and prepare individuals to access careers in the building trades. The Director will be a dynamic leader with significant experience in general contracting, staff supervision, and training in the building trades.
This is a full-time salaried position, Monday-Friday typically between 8:00am and 5:00pm. The Director of Workforce Training and Deconstruction Services reports to the Executive Director.
Serves as general contractor for the ERW deconstruction services
- Actively seeks new clients, builds positive relationships with interested clients, visits sites and develops bid proposals for deconstruction services
- Participates in evaluating potential materials for disposal, recycling and reuse from deconstruction sites
- Acquires and manages bids and work from subcontractors, project permits, COIs and inspection requirements for each project
- Liaises with independent appraisers
- Supervises deconstruction trainers and oversees work to complete projects successfully and on time
- Oversees disposition of salvaged materials from job site to be either sold on site or transported to the ERW
- Maintains strong relationships with the Cook County Environmental Department and Building Departments in the municipalities served
- Completes necessary administrative paperwork to comply with all legal requirements for clients and governmental agencies
Leads the ERW’s workforce training program
- Leads recruitment, hiring and firing of workforce trainees
- Strengthens program policies, procedures and leads curriculum development to ensure that trainees successfully complete the program and access careers in the building trades
- Evaluates training impacts and tracks evaluation outcomes
- Develops the program budget and manages finances to stay within budget
- Seeks partnerships with other social service agencies and potential employers for trainee recruitment and support, classroom teaching and mentorship, and employment after graduation
- Coordinates professional and personal development classes for trainees
Provides leadership to strengthen and grow the Evanston Rebuilding Warehouse
- Supervises the deconstruction trainers, manages their performance, and promotes their professional development
- Attends ERW staff meetings and participates in ongoing safety updates. Communicates relevant information to their staff
- Represents the ERW in public settings
- Supports the Executive Director in strategic planning, financial sustainability and growth
Job Skills and Qualifications:
- Be a licensed General Contractor with at least 10 years of construction management experience and a strong fundamental knowledge of all facets of construction
- Experience and excellence as a trainer and educator, especially with workforce trainees
- Experience and skill with program development, evaluation and reporting, and budgeting
- Detailed and organized project manager and supervisor, able to oversee multiple complex initiatives and projects and meet deadlines efficiently and successfully
- Have or acquire OSHA-10 Construction and RRP certifications
- Physically capable of working an 8 hour shift in a dusty environment and able to lift and move 50 lbs of material safely
- Excellent communications skills and ability to effectively communicate across all levels of the organization
- Proficient in use of Microsoft Office and Google Suite
- Interest in ERW’s nonprofit mission and being a part of a fun and collaborative team!
Benefits include paid time off and holiday pay.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send a cover letter indicating your interest and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put Director of Workforce Training in the subject line of the email. Applications will be received on a rolling basis until the position is filled. No phone calls or visits please.
The Evanston Rebuilding Warehouse is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply.