Change a child's life as a Site Coordinator as an AmeriCorps member in Tulsa!
- Job posted by Reading Partners
Reading Partners AmeriCorps (2018-19)
Reading Partners is changing the education landscape. We are a leader in working to solve the literacy crisis in our country by leveraging community volunteers in under-resourced schools. Our diverse and expansive volunteer base provides one-on-one tutoring to students twice weekly, and our program is proven to help children master the reading fundamentals they need to unlock their potential as successful, happy and confident readers in school and in life. Our people are our heartbeat and our greatest resource; we are all passionately rallied around our mission to help children become lifelong learners by empowering communities to provide individualized instruction that works. Join our stellar team leading the charge to deepen our impact and expand our service. Learn more about us at www.readingpartners.org .
AmeriCorps/VISTA engages more than 80,000 Americans in intensive service each year at nonprofits, schools, public agencies, and community and faith-based groups across the country. Since the program’s founding in 1994, more than 1 million AmeriCorps members have contributed more than 1.4 billion hours in service across America while tackling pressing problems and mobilizing more than 2.3 million volunteers for the organizations they serve.
At Reading Partners we have 400 AmeriCorps/VISTA members serving in various positions across the organization and across the country. These AmeriCorps service opportunities are school-based or community-based, supporting and implementing the Reading Partners mission while at the same time exemplifying the AmeriCorps motto of “getting things done.” Reading Partners strives to recruit AmeriCorps members who are dedicated to a year of service in the community, and we welcome your interest and application. Read on for more details!
Interested in serving at a school site? Check out our Site Coordinator role, and follow the application link for more information and additional role potential!
The AmeriCorps Site Coordinator is the face of Reading Partners within our reading centers, leading the full-time program coordination, operations, and relationship development at their school. This is an exciting opportunity to work with kids, coach volunteers, build partnerships with faculty and staff, and get a hands-on approach to a literacy program that works! Reading Partners AmeriCorps offers an amazing chance to give back, and as a member you’ll receive benefits, a great place to serve, and the opportunity to springboard a glowing and growing career. Our top Site Coordinators are ambassadors for service, demonstrate a passion for improving education, and strongly believe in our vision and values.
What you’ll do & how you’ll do it:
Coordinate the day-to-day operations of Reading Partners’ program at a partner school to ensure Reading Partners’ program and curricula meet students’ learning needs.
- Leading program implementation is a huge responsibility! As the head of a reading center, Site Coordinators demonstrate a strong understanding of our program and can effectively coach volunteer tutors through the curriculum. Superb organizational skills are paramount in meeting student enrollment goals (an average of 40-80 students), coordinating schedules, managing accurate data records, and tracking student progress through regular assessments. Site Coordinators also work directly with students to provide ongoing tutoring throughout the year.
Relationship Management & Communication
Forge and maintain positive relationships within the school community to create a welcoming environment for students, volunteer tutors, faculty, and staff.
- Fostering relationships within the school community is a key component of a Site Coordinator’s success. Site Coordinators demonstrate an aptitude for communication, adapting their communication styles to best suit the needs of students, volunteer tutors, Reading Partners colleagues, and school-based faculty/staff. The ability to motivate kids in their learning and manage their behavior is a significant responsibility, as is the ability to train, guide, and give feedback to volunteer tutors.
You’ll be successful in this role if you:
- Are dedicated to national and community service
- Understand this position is an AmeriCorps service commitment and are dedicated to successfully completing a term of service.
- Demonstrate a passion for working with children
- Possess a natural ability to connect with people
- Eagerness for a dynamic work schedule
- Boast a deep belief in and passionately promote our mission
- Demonstrate a love for relationship building and public speaking
- Have flexibility and adaptability in both work style and work environment
- Take initiative in meeting goals and seeking professional growth
- Can problem-solve through challenges and failures
- Pay strong attention to detail and manage competing priorities effectively
- Can quickly learn new technology systems and have a high level of comfort with MS Office, Google Apps
- Root your work in our core values
- Possess a high school diploma or GED
- Hold US Citizenship or Permanent Resident Status
Bonus Points if you:
- Are an AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service alum/alumna
- Have experience volunteering with other community-based or education programs
The Other things you Need To Know:
- Service Terms: AmeriCorps members serve full-time from August 2018 through June 2019 , and must commit to a service term of 1700 hours over an 11-month period.
- Travel: AmeriCorps members regularly travel to school sites throughout the week, and need access to reliable transportation on a daily basis. AmeriCorps members also make occasional trips to regional offices and service day events.
- Reading Partners AmeriCorps Orientation : At the start of each program year, Reading Partners holds an intensive program orientation training to take a deeper dive into our program, foster relationships with regional teams, and learn the skills necessary to execute their respective AmeriCorps role.
- AmeriCorps members earn an annual living stipend of $20,000 along with medical, dental, and vision coverage at no cost for our members; childcare assistance is available through AmeriCorps for those who qualify. You may be eligible for student loan forbearance on federal student loans. AmeriCorps members can earn an education award of $5,920 after successfully completing their service term. AmeriCorps members will have an allotment of personal days for sick/vacation.
- We offer an exciting and dynamic culture, and we commit to investing in and supporting our amazing people to grow their careers with us. As such, we provide ongoing professional development opportunities.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To learn more about this opportunity and how to join the Reading Partners AmeriCorps team, check out our direct application link!
We look forward to hearing from you!