145 9th Street
Development Coordinator, Jewish Film Institute
The Jewish Film Institute (JFI) is the premier curatorial voice for Jewish film and media worldwide and a leading arts and culture organization in the Bay Area. As the presenter of the world-‐renowned San Francisco Jewish Film Festival – the world’s first and largest Jewish film festival – JFI catalyzes and inspires communities in San Francisco and around the world to expand their understanding of Jewish life and culture through film, media, and dialogue. In addition to its signature summer Festival, the Jewish Film Institute presents year‐round live events in the San Francisco Bay Area including an annual WinterFest, Mitzvah screenings in senior communities and at San Quentin and a host of online content initiatives, including: JFI On Demand (a curated streaming service of films from the organization’s 38-year archive) and free Monthly Online Shorts that have garnered over 2.2 million views worldwide to date. In addition to its exhibition services, JFI also supports filmmakers working with Jewish themes through its yearlong Filmmaker Residency program, Jerusalem Film Workshop and Festival Awards.
The Development Coordinator manages and maintains the donor database; processes and acknowledges contributions; ensures donor benefit fulfillment; coordinates data and logistics for mail campaigns, special events, and other fundraising; and tracks campaign progress. The Development Coordinator is responsible for working with the Development Director to create comparative financial and membership reports; reconcile generated income with Accounting and Box Office; and supporting the Executive Director, Development Committee, Development Director, and Development Department, both at Festival and year round events as needed. Knowledge of Donor Perfect (or comparable database as a basis for knowledge) is essential. This is a non‐exempt full time year round position. Work schedules require expanded hours and flexibility during peak periods and to be available for major JFI events including the signature summer Film Festival.
Database Maintenance & Analysis
- Develop and maintain definitions, structures, and procedures for Donor Database. Ensure accuracy of all data, and protect integrity of member data.
- Work with Director of Operations and BoxCubed Agile Ticketing to apply best practices and develop procedures for inputting, managing, and responding to changes in individual gifts, grants, board gifts and ticket buyer conversions for up to date reporting.
- Maintain accurate and current donor and prospect information in JFI’s Donor Database
- In consultation with the Finance Manager and Director of Operations process and acknowledge all gifts, including: checks, credit card charges, stock gifts, in-kind contributions, and matching gifts generated through QuickBooks.
- Produce timely and accurate reports for use by the Development Director, Executive Director, Development Committee and Board of Directors, including analyses of: gifts, campaigns, in-kind contributions, pledges, matching gifts, and grants.
- Manage year round invitation lists for special screenings and events and assist the Marketing & Communications Manager with sending out email communications.
- Refine and formalize additional procedures relevant to gift and grant record keeping.
- Prepare timely and accurate reports on development income for use in grant applications, grant reports, and renewal requests.
- Produce and update grant reports and requests for renewal as needed.
- Work with Development Director and Program staff to identify funding opportunities relevant to specific programs or thematic areas.
- Help Development Director to pursue new funding sources via grants research, letters of inquiry, and outreach calls as needed.
- Correspond with grant managers and Foundation contacts as need, to investigate and resolve questions about specific proposals or reports.
- Maintain annual grant calendar, ensuring the inclusion of key deadlines, collaborating with Development Director and others to ensure timely fulfillment of reporting and submission requirements.
- Communicate membership benefits to actual and prospective members, encouraging and facilitating membership purchases & renewals.
- Personalize membership mailings and correspondence, and respond promptly to membership inquiries via telephone, e‐mail, and post.
- Work with Development Director to identify, solicit and manage in‐kind donations.
- Working with Marketing Manager and Development Director to facilitate donor, member and ticket buyer communication using Constant Contact, Evite, MailChimp, or other marketing platforms as needed.
Festival and Special Events
- Maintain eligibility lists relevant to Festival and special events, and coordinate mailings to eligible recipients.
- Understand Festival benefits relevant to each donor category, and work with box office company to fulfill Festival benefits.
- Assist with the planning and coordination of special donor events, including guest lists, RSVPs, and on-site logistics related to registration.
- Produce timely and accurate reports on event attendance and participation, for use by the Development Director and Executive Director.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Detail oriented and accurate.
- Have the ability to work independently.
- Multi-task and meet deadlines in a fast-‐paced environment.
- Handle confidential information with discretion.
- Work effectively with staff, volunteers, donors and the public.
- 1‐2 years of administrative experience and/or non‐profit development experience.
- Experience with Donor Perfect or comparable database (Salesforce), and Microsoft Office Suite is essential, Photoshop, inDesign or other graphic design program a plus.
JFI is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants for paid and volunteer positions, and employees seeking advancement, are considered on the basis of their qualifications, and without regard to race, color, national origin or ancestry, religion, age, sex, perceived gender, sexual orientation, marital or veteran status, HIV status or medical condition, mental or physical disability, or any other characteristic made unlawful by federal, state or local laws.
Minimum Education Required