About the Obama Foundation
Founded in January 2014, the Obama Foundation is a living, working center for citizenship in the 21st century aimed at identifying, training, and connecting the next generation of leaders and engaged citizens. The Foundation is developing the Obama Presidential Center on the South Side of Chicago to serve as headquarters for the projects it will undertake across the city, the nation, and around the world.
As President Obama said in his farewell address, "I am asking you to believe. Not in my ability to bring about change — but in yours.” That concept is one the Obamas championed from the beginning, and it is now a cornerstone of the Obama Foundation’s efforts to support and develop the next generation of active citizens and emerging young leaders at home and around the world.
Real change—big change—takes many years, and requires each generation to believe that its participation matters and embrace the obligations and opportunities that come with the most important office in a democracy: that of Citizen. Together, we have made extraordinary progress. Because there is more to do, this work lives on in the Obama Foundation.
For more information on the Obama Foundation, please visit www.obama.org.
About the Role
As a key member of the Finance team, the Manager of Financial Planning and Analysis will be responsible for analyzing and communicating via reports, dashboards, etc., the overall financial performance of the Foundation. This includes understanding key drivers and identifying key performance metrics. Additionally, this position will be responsible for analyzing variances and trends and making recommendations to ensure the Foundation meets its financial objectives. This position will also be responsible for leading and managing the annual budget and planning process. The Manager of Financial Reporting and Analysis will report to the Director of Accounting and Financial Reporting but will work very closely with the Chief Financial Officer, Executive Director and Development team. This position requires strong analytical skills, technical skills and interpersonal skills. This role is supported by an analyst.
The Manager of Financial Planning and Analysis will be responsible for achieving the following outcomes within the first year:
- Within 1 month of hire, the manager will review and evaluate the 2018 budget process, documents and tools and will recommend changes that should be implemented for the 2019 budget and planning process
- Within 3 months of hire, the manager will have full ownership of the cross-departmental budgeting process and lead all cross-functional meetings needed to develop the Foundation budget
- Within 3 months of hire, the manager will identify a list of key financial metrics and analyses needed to track across the Foundation
- Within 4 months of hire, the manager will create dashboards and/or series of custom reports to better facilitate the tracking of key metrics relative to the overall Foundation and individual departments
- Within 3 months, the manager will own the monthly actual vs. budget analysis, ensuring it is completed timely and provides useful insight to the organization. This includes analyzing and explaining variances, identifying trends and implications and making recommendations to ensure the Foundation remains on track to meet its short and long term financial objectives
- Foundation financial information is consistently represented in a high-quality manner for all internal and external presentations (e.g., manager can guide all required analysis and create presentation materials)
- Within first 6 months, manager develops a forecasting process to augment the annual budget process
- Within 2 months of hire, contribute to the reforecasting process to help ensure the process is efficient
The ultimate aim of the Manager of Financial Planning and Analysis role is to achieve the outcomes listed above. In order to achieve those outcomes, we imagine that the selected candidate will spend their time in the following ways:
- Leads the cross-departmental annual budgeting and planning process
- Provide ongoing detailed financial analysis, dashboards and reports that summarize financial activity across the Foundation
- Creates high impact financial presentations and reports for internal and external reporting needs
- Works closely with the Development team to understand and analyze short and long revenue projections and track actual incoming contributions against projections
- Participates in the selection of a new accounting and reporting system and helps plan the implementation
- Works with senior leaders to develop reports and financial tools to analyze the financial impact of department activities
- Directly manages the Financial Analyst
- Performs all other job duties as assigned by the finance leadership team.
- Minimum of seven (7) years experience in financial planning, analysis and budgeting with a complex organization; experience with a large non-profit organization is a plus
- Bachelor’s Degree in finance or accounting; MBA is a plus
- Strong analytic capabilities, with an eye for objectively evaluating risks, tradeoffs, and options in making recommendations and decisions
- Strong financial modeling skills
- Must have excellent math skills and attention to details
- Excellent relationship building skills, with an ability to influence and motivate people at all levels of an organization
- Self-confidence, integrity, humility, action-orientation, trustworthiness, calm under pressure, and deep commitment to mission and team
- Exceptional communication skills, both written and verbal, and the ability to multi-task while maintaining a sense of urgency and high level of confidentiality
Equal Opportunity Employer
The Foundation is committed to creating a diverse work environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. The Foundation does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, gender identity, religion, sexual orientation, age, disability, parental status, veteran status, or any other protected status under applicable laws. We encourage individuals of all backgrounds to apply. If you are a qualified candidate with a disability, please e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you require a reasonable accommodation to complete this application.
Minimum Education Required