SEIU 32BJ represents 163,000 property service workers across twelve states and Washington, DC. The Union has an aggressive organizing program aimed at raising standards for airport workers, cleaners, security officers, residential maintenance workers and institutional food service workers across our jurisdiction. We currently seek Member Development Coordinator.
The Member Development Coordinator (MDC) will work in coordination with the Director of Organizing Operations and Recruitment to drive the Organizing department’s Member Brigade program across campaigns for the NY and NJ districts. The MDC manages the program from recruitment and orientation, through the member’s experience, to the reintegration of members back into their worksite. S/He is available throughout each Brigade to answer questions and address issues raised by the members and their staff supervisors.
- Coordinate with field staff to identify and recruit member leaders to become involved in organizing campaigns and other union activities through the Member Brigade Program;
- Visit job sites and Union membership meetings to promote the Brigade program and identify potential recruits; collaborate with Communications department to create member literature;
- Interview potential candidates as needed for relevant campaigns; ensure that field staff secure written approval of the Leave of Absence (LOA) before the start of the Brigade;
- Conduct group orientations at the start of a Brigade;
- Familiarize with Collective Bargaining Agreements as needed to coordinate continuation of employee benefits while on Brigade, and the correct application of Paid Time Off (PTO) entitlement; coordinate and troubleshoot with Human Resources;
- Assist Coordinators and Leads in the interpretation of policies and procedures of the Program;
- Visit the field to observe the performance of the participants in the program and provide feedback as necessary; track Member Brigade progress and provide support as needed; update Coordinators and Leads of activities, developments and challenges;
- Assist in recruiting and interviewing candidates for New Organizing Training Program (NOTP);
- Facilitate curriculum and materials development for NOTP/Member Brigade including prepping facilitators;
- Facilitate Brigade and NOTP performance evaluation;
- Performs related work as required.
- Knowledge of union organizing practice and principles; knowledge of anti-union employer tactics helpful;
- Leadership, facilitation and/or motivational skills;
- Experience conducting job interviews preferred;
- Strong presentation and written communication skills; bilingual Spanish and English preferred but not required;
- Must be responsive and available to all Program stakeholders by phone and by email;
- Basic knowledge of labor laws, especially with respect to union organizing;
- Ability to accept and apply feedback;
- Basic computer skills, such as Word, Excel, and MS Outlook.
We offer a competitive salary based on experience. Our benefits package includes employer-paid medical, dental and vision coverage for employees and their qualified dependents, and retirement benefits.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please email a resume and letter of interest to Human Resources at HR@seiu32bj.org with Subject title “Member Development Coordinator “.
32BJ SEIU is an equal opportunity employer. Women and people of color are encouraged to apply.