FriendshipWorks’ mission is to reduce social isolation, enhance quality of life and preserve the dignity of elders in Boston and Brookline. We accomplish this by recruiting and training volunteers of all ages, faiths and backgrounds who provide friendship, advocacy, education, assistance and emotional support to the elders we serve.
The Director of Development & Communications reports to the Executive Director. Key responsibilities will be: a) hands on stewardship, cultivation and solicitation of philanthropic gifts, with an emphasis on major donors and corporate sponsorships, b) the creation and implementation of effective strategies to acquire new donors, especially at the leadership level and c) the development of communications strategies that seamlessly integrate development, marketing and program messaging.
The Director of Development & Communications will build on our current fundraising and marketing successes to develop sustainable funding and consistent messaging for our growing organization. Having grown from a 7-staff-member organization with an annual budget of $500,000 in 2013, to 20 staff and a $1.5 million budget in 2018, we are at a critical juncture and point of growth.
The Director of Development & Communications will be a key partner in all aspects of a continued transformation of fundraising at FriendshipWorks. The Director will serve as a strategist and guide, helping to leverage FriendshipWorks’ existing fundraising and communications activities. S/he will become a trusted and respected partner to leadership and to program staff, a credible brand ambassador to potential strategic partners, and a creative, patient and persistent resource in facilitating new long‐term relationships amongst these groups. The Director will work with the Board, staff, and others to support the expansion of FriendshipWorks’ donor base, focusing on expanding and deepening our individual giving program, identifying new corporate funding opportunities, and increasing our visibility locally, regionally and nationally.
- With the Executive Director, create and implement comprehensive fundraising and communications strategies that build upon FriendshipWorks’ goals and successes
- Supervise, mentor and manage the Development staff team (presently consisting of, a Grant Writer, a Development & Administrative Assistant, a part-time Events Specialist and a part-time Social Media and Marketing Intern
- Partner with program staff to fully understand our programs and to foster collaborative relationships to best position these for fundraising activities and support
Development and Communications
- Create an annual prospecting strategy and calendar, identifying new funding sources to expand the current donor base
- Develop and implement a plan to identify individual prospects and to develop an effective case for support by individual donors
- Cultivate, deepen and maintain relationships with current individual and corporate donors
- Develop strategic annual events to deliver financial support and greater visibility in the community
- Expand corporate sponsorship for events
- Identify appropriate audiences, create messaging to past and future event participants
- Initiate and design major gift, endowment, planned giving and monthly giving programs
- Work with staff across the organization to integrate communications, branding and programs into fundraising strategies and activities, as appropriate
- Engage, train and support FriendshipWorks Board members in fundraising efforts and expanding FriendshipWorks volunteer networks
- Oversee development of written communications, marketing materials and electronic marketing to increase FriendshipWorks visibility to external audiences
- Assure that website and other social media sites are maintained and current
- Manage the integration and accuracy of donor information into Salesforce CRM, with emphasis on tracking fundraising campaigns
- Provide regular reporting of revenue, progress and successes to management and others as appropriate
- Serve as staff liaison to Development Committee of the Board of Directors
- Support a culture of philanthropy throughout FriendshipWorks, informing staff of all fundraising and communications activities
- Serve as a member of the FriendshipWorks Management Team
- Participate in annual budget development process as requested by Executive Director
- Other related duties as needed
The successful Director of Development and Communications will be an experienced and strategic fundraiser with strong knowledge of how to design, manage and scale development activities. S/he will have a record as a trusted partner to senior leaders, a respectful supervisor, a diplomatic negotiator of internal change, and a compelling representative to potential donors and partners.
- Minimum 7 years’ experience in nonprofit fundraising, including experience in prospect research, individual donor cultivation, stewardship, public relations and budget planning
- Excellent writing and editing skills; strong verbal communication and interpersonal skills
- Experience supervising and managing staff and teams
- Experience in executive-level relationship building; management skills with diverse constituent groups, staff, board members, volunteers and donors
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and manage a variety of concurrent projects
- Strong technical skills, including proficiency in CRM (preferably Salesforce); other design software experience
- Passion for the FriendshipWorks mission
Vacation, sick days, health insurance, SIMPLE IRA.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org.