Director of Teacher Residency Program, Relay Chicago
- Job posted by Relay Graduate School of Education
The Director of the Teacher Residency Program will work in partnership with numerous schools and networks across Chicago to continue building an innovative support system to brand-new teachers within their schools. The Teacher Residency Program will provide a clear, one-year pathway into a career as a teacher in an urban setting. During the year, residents will balance learning what it takes to be a high-expectations, high-rigor, data-driven, super-planned teacher with providing real value to the school and being accountable to delivering quality work on all responsibilities. The Director of the Teacher Residency Program will lead the training and development of a cohort of Teachers-in-Residence, collaborate with Relay leadership and partner districts and networks to refine the program, as well as manage the Teacher Residency Program.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Continue to refine a comprehensive program of study and lead the successful implementation of the Residency Program
- Serve as the cohort’s Assistant Professor of Practice and teach core General Pedagogy courses to Teachers-in-Residence
- Serve as Faculty Advisor to Teachers-in-Residence, which includes coaching, supporting, and conducting formal and informal observations
- Develop collaborative relationships with partner organizations and leaders of the schools in which Teachers-in-Residence are employed to ensure alignment and support are in place; serve as primary liaison between Relay and school leaders within partner networks that host Teachers-in-Residence
- Deliver summer orientation and all core courses to the Teachers-in-Residence
- Work closely with the National Dean of Residency to design, deliver, and continually improve weekly practice-based sessions for Teachers-in-Residence on classroom management and instructional skills
- Train Resident Advisors in mentoring Relay Teachers-in-Residence, live coaching, evaluation on Gateway rubrics, and observation feedback
- Collaborate with fellow faculty members to develop, revise, and implement Relay’s curriculum
- Coordinate with the Relay Professors and schools to identify and assist struggling Teachers-in-Residence
- Evaluate Teachers-in-Residence to ensure each individual is on track with competency-based goals and provide feedback to graduate students through classroom observations and written assignments
First and foremost, the Director of the Chicago Teacher Residency Program must share the team’s sense of urgency about the need to improve student achievement through phenomenal teacher training. Our goal is to create a world-class school of education that provides a pathway into the classroom as a fully certified, qualified, and capable teacher during the first year of full teaching responsibilities.
Additionally, candidates for the position must have the following:
- A master’s or doctoral degree
- At least six years of instructional experience (at least three years of successful instructional leadership)
- At least two years of experience leading professional development sessions for teachers
- At least two years of experience observing, coaching, and developing novice teachers
- Ability to work and communicate effectively with diverse populations
- A proven aptitude to teach, lead, inspire and persuade others
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment
- Strong student and team orientation, and collaborative nature
- A demonstrated passion for urban education and closing the opportunity gap
- Authorized to work in the United States
CONSIDERATIONS TO NOTE
- Faculty must have the ability to transport themselves to public schools across the city in order to conduct classroom observations.
- As part of our hiring process, we ask for candidates’ current manager as a final reference before an offer is extended.
- Faculty openings are contingent on graduate student enrollment numbers.
Relay Graduate School of Education provides equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees.
Relay offers a competitive salary and benefits package for full-time employees.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please apply on the career page of our website