One Acre Fund is an established social enterprise that delivers agricultural support to farmers across East and Southern Africa. Instead of giving handouts, One Acre invests in farmers to generate a permanent gain in farm income. We provide farmers with a "market bundle" that includes education, finance, seed and fertilizer, and market access. Our program is proven to be impactful – every year, we weigh thousands of harvests and measure more than 100% average gain in farm income per acre. We have laser-like focus on generating better lives for the people that we serve.
Since 2007, we have grown to serve more than 365,000 farm families in Kenya alone. However, we will not stop there. One Acre Fund plans to continue its rapid growth, and we expect to be able to support 1 million farm families in Kenya by 2025. Program Associates play a major role in driving that growth and ensuring that it is both stable and systematic – while also adding major innovations and improvements to our program quality. This offers Program Associates a strong career opportunity: the ability to learn from a successful field operation, contribute to aggressive growth and also make improvements to our program.
We are currently seeking a Program Associate for our Program Design team within One Acre Fund. As a team, Program Design provides the strategic direction and annual planning for all core activities in Kenya, driving towards the achievement of our ambitious scale and impact goals. We focus specifically on the strategic management of One Acre Fund Kenya's loan portfolio, creation and management of the marketing and enrollment strategy, and the planning and research for future program expansion within Kenya.
The Mt Kenya Program Associate will be responsible for leading our current operations and future growth in the Mt Kenya region, an area critical to achieving our highly ambitious scale goals. The role will be based in Nyeri and will be required to build upon our newly established program to expand operations around the Mt Kenya area. Additionally, they will be required to build for scale for future operations. Specific responsibilities include:
Hiring, Management, Mentorship, and Acceleration of Field Team
- Regular check-ins and management with the regional field team’s Senior Field Director to support on the week-to-week execution of their work (soon to be a team of ~60 people)
- Monitor key performance indicators around impact, enrollment and repayment with appropriate triage and follow up as necessary
- Invest in the team’s professional skills through targeted mentorship and weekly check-ins with Senior Field Director, to enable them to take on more responsibility and grow their career at One Acre Fund
- Take the lead on hiring all future team members, with the expectation that the team will continue to grow aggressively in coming seasons
Executing on Key Planning for Further Expansion around Mt Kenya
- Run scouting surveys in all potential expansion areas to determine crop preferences, interest in the program, etc. and determine the most feasible areas to work
- Review last year’s performance with key stakeholders and run various analyses on KPIs and the scouting data to determine expansion plan for the pilot for the following season
- Draw on the strategy throughout planning and execution to ensure that it is brought to life
- Conduct liaison with Government Relations’ staff to ensure adequate permissions are in place to work in new areas.
- Be adaptable and ready to implement several different contingencies.
Continue to develop operations
- Work closely with systems team to build robust operations for scale as we grow in the region
- Monitor and control efficiency of operations in region and plan accurate estimates of budgetary requirements
- Liaise with other field teams to ensure unity of purpose and core common practices are being adhered to
Lead Strategic Research and Analysis to Increase Scale
- Using past performance data, determine further research needs to continue to expand in Mt Kenya
- Execute on all necessary qualitative field research, phone surveys, and data analysis.
- Creation of high-quality reports to help guide the program to make data-driven expansion decisions
We are seeking exceptional professionals with 2 to 4 years of work experience, and a demonstrated long-term passion for our mission. Candidates who fit the following criteria are strongly encouraged to apply:
- Strong academic background.
- Strong work experience in a similar field. Examples include a demanding professional work experience, or successful entrepreneurial experience, e.g. starting a field program in a developing country, starting a business, extensive volunteer experience.
- A passion for world class customer service.
- Demonstrated experience in leadership and management is strongly desired, ideally managing large groups of people in a professional context.
- Able to work in a team to solve complex problems in a way that satisfies many stakeholders and always puts farmers first.
- Able to work independently, and comfortable with uncertainty. Our Nyeri office is a small satellite operation, at some distance from our large headquarters in Kakamega.
- Good oral and written communication skills.
Preferred Start Date
As soon as possible
Commensurate with experience
Health insurance, housing, annual flights and other quality of life benefits
Sponsor International Candidates
No; must have existing rights to work in Kenya
East Africans strongly encouraged to apply
Minimum Education Required