Details: Commensurate with qualifications.
1055 Wilshire Blvd.
United Friends of the Children empowers current and former foster youth on their journey to self-sufficiency through service-enriched education and housing programs, advocacy, and consistent relationships with a community of people who care.
UFC has been an integral part of the Los Angeles foster care community since our founding by Nancy M. Daly in 1979. Our early advocacy efforts helped establish the Los Angeles County Department of Children and Family Services and pass the Foster Care Independence Act. Innovations in direct services span from co-founding the first transitional housing program in the nation for former foster youth to the creation of an 11-year education support continuum that follows foster youth from the seventh grade through the completion of a bachelor’s degree.
Reporting to the Impact Manager, the Experiential Learning Coordinator designs and implements key programmatic components including Saturday youth workshops, enrichment events, college visits, and special events, to ensure that our scholars are receiving the best possible support in their journey to and through college. The Experiential Learning Coordinator will be expected to observe workshops and events to ensure effective implementation of curriculum.
Utilizing a five day a week schedule, alternately between Monday-Friday and Tuesday-Saturday, the Experiential Learning Coordinator will work from the downtown UFC office and will also travel to various locations across LA County in order observe and support workshops/events on Saturdays.
Duties and responsibilities
● Develop and revise workshop and event content to achieve desired program goals and outcomes.
● Build space within workshops/events for community building and relationship-focused programming.
● Integrate best practices in Social Emotional Learning (SEL) in workshops/events.
● Create counselor/student meeting content to support knowledge, skills, and mindset development.
● Continually expand and update professional and technical knowledge within the education, foster care, group facilitation, social emotional learning, and case management fields.
● Partner with Logistics Coordinator to plan meaningful college, career, and growth experiences for students.
● Support students in accessing high quality and cost-effective opportunities for learning through experiences (i.e., summer enrichment or internships).
● Develop service learning and enrichment opportunities that help achieve our grade-level priorities and desired outcomes.
Program Implementation and Development
● Assist with coordination of special events (i.e., College Within Reach, student retreats).
● Disseminate workshop curriculum, presentation, and handouts at least two weeks prior to workshop so as to ensure staff is ready to facilitate the content.
● Support Impact Manager in developing rubrics to assess scholar engagement.
● Assist Director of Outcomes and Evaluation in creating and implementing evaluation tools to measure workshop/event impact on students.
● Analyze workshop outcomes and trends and work with Education team to improve program model and service delivery.
● Other duties as assigned.
General UFC Responsibilities
● Act as a role model within the organization to uphold and implement UFC’s organizational values.
● Embrace program evaluation that leads to excellence and impact.
● Build effective and empowering partnerships with the youth and community.
● Create a fun and exciting environment that inspires learning and innovation.
● Communicate openly, honestly and with humility across all groups.
● Work together as one organization.
● Bachelor’s degree in education or a related field.
● 2+ years of curriculum development experience.
● 2+ years of workshop facilitation or classroom experience.
● 2+ years of youth development experience.
● Demonstrated experience working with middle and/or high school students
● Balances multiple competing priorities.
● Establishes and cultivates respectful relationships with people from diverse backgrounds.
● Holds self accountable, sets high expectations for self and others, works both independently and collaboratively and relates tasks to organizational values.
● Conveys thoughts and ideas clearly, listens well, communicates in a solution-oriented manner and incorporates others’ views into work.
● Has a reliable personal automobile.
● Master’s Degree in a related field.
Comprehensive benefits package includes:
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance options
- Life, ADD and Disability insurance
- 403b retirement plan
- Paid time off
- Mission-focused work
- Fun and inspiring work environment
Minimum Education Required