633 Third Avenue
The human resource manager is directly responsible for the overall administration, coordination and evaluation of ACLS’s human resource function.
ACLS Mission and Overview
The American Council of Learned Societies (ACLS), a private, nonprofit federation of 75 national scholarly organizations, is the preeminent representative of American scholarship in the humanities and related social sciences. Since our founding in 1919, ACLS has worked to advance humanistic studies by awarding fellowships and strengthening relations among learned societies. Other activities include support for scholarly conferences, reference works, and scholarly communication. ACLS currently has a staff of 27, almost all of whom work out of our office in New York City.
Over the last 15 years, ACLS has achieved significant growth in its work to deliver its mission to advance humanistic studies and maintain and strengthen relations among the national humanistic societies. ACLS has supported new types of scholarship and new forms of public engagement. All this has been made possible through ACLS’s leadership deepening relationships with ACLS’s principal funders, the development with them of shared visions for how the humanities can be supported and helped to flourish and the dedication and commitment of a highly talented staff.
The leadership is looking forward to ACLS’s next phase of growth, which necessitates building ACLS’s organizational capacity, further professionalizing the workforce, systems and processes. professionalizing the workforce, systems and processes.
About the Position
ACLS is seeking an energetic, enthusiastic, high performing human resources professional looking for an opportunity to develop and launch a new in-house human resources function. Reporting to the Vice President and Chief Operating Officer, the HR Manager will be responsible for further advancing the organization’s profile to attract, develop, motivate, and retain productive, engaged employees.
Key job responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Work with managers to monitor and improve employees’ satisfaction and effectiveness, including helping to ensure optimal inter-departmental collaboration.
Recruitment & Talent Management
- Collaborate with management to determine the recruitment strategies tailored to each vacancy.
- Oversee organization-wide recruitment of a high-caliber, diverse and values aligned workforce. Craft and review job descriptions; write and place advertisements; develop hiring procedures for recruitment, screening, interviewing, reference and background checks, and job offers.
- Design and manage an ACLS onboarding process that effectively orients new employees.
- Review and maintain HR policies and procedures and update the HR handbook when necessary.
Compensation and Benefits
- Oversee benefits communications and administration.
- Oversee the work of implementation, training, and communications with staff concerning all benefit programs benefits coordination, utilizing professional employer organization (PEO) if that is determined to be appropriate.
- Ensure organizational compliance with all local, state and federal employment requirements.
- Maintain compliant employee personnel files.
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience of progressive responsibility in a human resources department is desirable. Nonprofit or academic institution experience strongly preferred.
- Strong work ethic coupled with enthusiastic and passionate approach to one’s work.
- High degree of professionalism and integrity; the ability to manage difficult situations with tact and diplomacy.
- Ability to demonstrate good judgment, discretion and confidentiality at all times.
- Eligible to work in the United States at time of hire.
ACLS offers a competitive package of benefits.
ACLS is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment for our employees and welcome applications from all individuals, without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, parental status, or military service. ACLS provides a competitive package of salary and benefits.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
For immediate consideration, please email your resume and cover letter to the attention of James Shulman at email@example.com. Please indicate your name and “HR Manager" in the subject line. Applications submitted without a personalized cover letter will not be considered. Thank you for your interest in career opportunities with ACLS. Due to high volume, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.