Executive Director - Habitat for Humanity of Greater Newburgh
- Job posted by Habitat for Humanity of Greater Newburgh, NY
125 Washington Street
The Executive Director is responsible for promoting the overall vision, mission, and direction of the affiliate and providing successful leadership and management of Habitat Newburgh and its employees. The Executive Director ensures that strategic short and long range plans are developed and carried out to sustain healthy growth. Reporting to the Board of Directors, the Executive Director is a passionate advocate for expanding and creating homeownership opportunities for low- income families while also pursuing mission-consistent opportunities to strengthen communities and revitalize neighborhoods. The person in this position serves as the spokesperson for the affiliate. The Executive Director is responsible and accountable for the effective and efficient execution of all facets of the organization including: revenue generation, financial management, construction, personnel and volunteers, outreach, public relations and operations.
General Organizational Leadership
· Develop and implement operational policies, procedures and protocols as needed.
· Carry chief staff responsibility to ensure that legal obligations of the organization are met in a timely manner and in accordance with applicable law, legal obligations of the affiliate and the Habitat for Humanity International covenant and guidelines.
· Organize, plan and implement activities appropriate to organizational goals and strategic plan.
· Continue to strengthen an organizational culture of collaboration, support and dedication to the mission.
· Lead growth and manage change.
· Excite, appreciate and motivate a wide range of stakeholders.
· Oversee fundraising activities to ensure that the affiliate has the resources needed to support its budget and fulfill its strategic plan and mission.
· Maintain and enhance relationships with financial institutions and partners to ensure continued growth in mortgage asset revenue.
· Cultivate and steward a range of relationships with stakeholders, including donors, elected officials, policy makers, media outlets and key community leaders.
· In conjunction with Development Committee, establish a strategy for fund development, donor retention and recognition.
· Collaborate with Development staff to develop and implement a strategic resource development plans for single and multi-year resource development efforts that ensure a long-term, sustainable mix of revenue from a range of sources.
· Provide leadership for solicitation of major gifts, including identifying and meeting with major corporate and individual donors.
· Research and analyze agency, corporate, individual and foundation donor base and recommended solicitation strategies.
· Cultivate in-kind materials, labor, and land donations.
· Help develop funding for programs through writing winning grant proposals and working closely with foundations and corporations as well as federal, state, and local agencies.
· Leverage partnerships with other community organizations.
· Provide oversight of our ReStore operations.
· Provide oversight for all program components, including homeowner services, acquisition of building sites, construction, community development, advocacy, and volunteer engagement.
· Oversee recruitment and selection of homebuyers, completion of homeownership program, sale of homes and ongoing support of homeowners including warranty, mortgage servicing and relationships building/engagement. Ensure compliance of all laws associated with these processes.
· Oversee construction activity to ensure construction of homes stays on schedule and within budget. Maintain a short and long term building schedule.
· Oversee land acquisition and development to ensure that property is available to meet short and long range goals of providing homes for qualified families.
· Ensure volunteer are continuously recruited, trained and given meaningful, compelling roles within all aspects of the organization.
· Cultivate an engaging volunteer value culture, and promote active and broad participation by volunteers in all areas of the organizations work.
· Engage in and oversee community development and neighborhood revitalization efforts including research efforts undertaken with Success Measures.
· Ensure ongoing local programmatic excellence, rigorous program evaluation and consistent quality.
· Create an annual budget in accordance with strategic priorities; oversee spending in line with board approved budget.
· Oversee the protection and maintenance of the affiliate’s assets.
· Oversee affiliate finances and cash flows to ensure compliance with approved budget.
· Monitor performances vs. budget and funding for construction projects.
· Communicate monthly financial results and analysis to the Finance Committee and Board.
· Responsible for maintaining sound financial practices and controls.
· Ensure that adequate funds are available to fulfill its mission and goals.
· Provide overall control and direction for the personnel function of the organization. All affiliate staff members are accountable to and report directly or indirectly to the executive director.
· Screen, hire, manage and discharge affiliate staff.
· Ensure that all staff have appropriate coaching and development opportunities.
· Implement and enforce affiliate personnel policies.
· Supervise, train, and provide direction to staff in the performance of their duties, including determining staff job descriptions.
· Provide clearly delineated staff roles and responsibilities in accordance with respective job descriptions.
· Formally evaluate the performance of affiliate staff members no less frequently than annually.
· Maintain a climate, which attracts, keeps, and motivates a diverse staff of top quality people.
· Work collaboratively with the Board of Directors and assist the Board with strategic and long term planning, setting of goals and priorities, establishing policies and goals, and monitoring the progress of the organization.
· Attend meetings of the Board of Directors and the Executive Committee and provide the Board with monthly Board Packet and Operational Reports.
· Maintain a transparent and productive relationship with the Board of Directors by ensuring regular communication and reporting around organizational progress and status.
· Support and guide Board development in conjunction with Board leadership.
· Provide support to the various Board committees.
· Keep Board informed of changes in the field of affordable housing relating to the HFH mission.
· In conjunction with the Executive Committee of the Board, set the agenda for Board meetings.
· Conduct new Board member orientation.
· Foster and maintain open and healthy relationships with Board members and committees.
· Provide positive visibility of Habitat for Humanity of Greater Newburgh in the community.
· Participate in meetings, conferences, workshops and training on behalf of the affiliate for the purpose of continued growth, learning and leading best practices.
· Represent the affiliate in the community and serve as affiliate liaison with other community, professional and social service agencies.
· Develop strategic alliances with community leaders and local officials.
· Establish sound and strategic working relationships and cooperative arrangements with local and state community and professional groups and nonprofit organizations.
· Represent the programs and point of view of Habitat Newburgh to agencies, organizations and the general public.
· Interface with professional, economic development, religious and social service groups in the community and serve on appropriate community boards and committees.
Communications & Marketing
· Create and sustain an overall communications strategy that improves Habitat Newburgh’s effective representation among multitude constituencies, especially donors.
· Cultivate and manage relationships with the public, especially the media, keeping the Habitat brand and vision visible throughout the communities in which Habitat serves.
· Oversee communications, serve as primary organizational spokesperson, and ensure consistent and mission appropriate messaging through all others representing the organization.
· Develop, implement and execute an effective media relations plan. Write and circulate press releases, track exposure and maintain result driven relationships with media.
· Supervise media relations to support affiliate mission and maintain good relations with all applicable media.
· Interprets the function of the organization to the community through direct involvement and through public relations programs, including personal contact, literature and the media. Deepen and refine all aspects of communications-from web presence to external relations with the goal of creating a stronger brand.
· Provide leadership in developing programs, organizations and financial plans with the Board of Directors and staff, and carry out the plans and policies authorized by the Board.
· Publicize the activities of the HFHGN, including its programs and goals.
· Conceptualize and create print and electronic visual materials to be used as educational, promotional and fundraising vehicles for Habitat Newburgh.
· Oversee the content management of the affiliate’s website, ensuring that all information remains relevant/current. Maintain and execute an effective presence on social media platforms to include but not limited to Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
· Oversee as effective, promotional advertising campaign for Habitat SHR and Habitat ReStore Newburgh on an annual basis.
· Uphold and enforce the integrity of the Habitat of Humanity International branding guidelines for all purposes within Habitat Newburgh through business cards, letterhead, advertisements, and other collateral and promotional materials.
· Coordinate and manage the development and production of communications materials, print and digital, in support of affiliate initiatives.
· Improve internal communications systems in support of development objectives.
· Develop and manage an annual marketing and cultivation plan.
· Create tools that demonstrate the analysis and impact of affiliate communication efforts.
Skills and Experience
· Minimum of 7-10 years of senior level management experience including experience managing a complex organization with diverse staff and annual budget exceeding $2.5 million. Nonprofit management experience strongly preferred.
· Bachelor’s degree required; masters’ degree preferred.
· Demonstrated passion for working in distressed communities, urban settings and grassroots efforts that catalyze change.
· Direct experience in affordable housing and community development a plus.
· Successful track record with strategic fundraising and donor development.
· Strong knowledge of fundraising principles and processes including major gifts, foundation and government grant writing, and annual giving.
· Demonstrated leadership ability and strong organizational skills.
· Knowledge of or willingness to learn about the house construction process, safety procedures, and the use of equipment and materials.
· Experience managing relations with civic leaders, community stakeholders and volunteers. Demonstrated ability to build coalitions and alliances with key donors, employees, Board of Directors, volunteers, and community stakeholders.
· Demonstrated ability to work effectively, take strategic direction form and to engage the Board of Directors.
· Possess the ability to prioritize and work with tight deadlines while keeping within budgetary constraints.
· Proven experience managing multiple projects simultaneously and autonomously.
· Experience in facilitating public and private partnerships.
· Experience successfully developing and executing a strategic plan including aligning programs, business models, internal systems and structures, staff and board skills, and finances in support of that strategy.
· Strong marketing and public relations experience with the ability to engage a wide range of stakeholders and cultures. Experience working the media; and in developing an organizational communications plan that is strategic and proactive, and includes multiple communications platforms.
· Excellent communications and interpersonal skills, including the ability to serve as an inspirational spokesperson for Habitat Newburgh.
· Strong financial background; experience managing and understanding financial complexities of multiple projects and budgets; knowledge of mortgage lender/banking processes a plus.
· Familiarity with public policy issues related to affordable housing.
· Excellence in organizational management with the ability to coach staff, and mange and develop high- performance teams.
· Strong computer proficiency; knowledge of Etapestry, Volunteer Hub, and/or ComputerEase a plus.
· Familiarity with retail business models to support the continued success and development of the ReStore a plus.
· Prior work in a Habitat for Humanity affiliate is a plus.
· Passionate about the mission of Habitat for Humanity of Greater Newburgh
· Ability to work in a fast-paced, multi-faceted environment.
· Strong collaborative orientation and entrepreneurial spirit.
· High standards of personal and professional integrity and accountability
· Values a team-oriented approach to decision–making and problem solving
· Works effectively both individually and in a collaborative environment
· Ability to learn quickly and use insights to manage new situations effectively
· Communicates effectively with people of diverse backgrounds and income levels
· Proactive, creative, and strategic, thinker.
· Ability to provide and accept feedback.
· Confident and engaging presentation style.
· Willingness to work evening and weekend hours
3 weeks vacation
Health Care Coverage
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required