Details: DOE - Salary
At the Center for Biological Diversity, we believe that the welfare of human beings is deeply linked to nature - to the existence in our world of a vast diversity of wild animals and plants. Because diversity has intrinsic value, and because its loss impoverishes society, we work to secure a future for all species, great and small, hovering on the brink of extinction. We do so through science, law and creative media, with a focus on protecting the lands, waters and climate that species need to survive.
We want those who come after us to inherit a world where the wild is still alive.
The Center is seeking for a full-time Comptroller to work at the headquarters located in Tucson, Arizona.
General position overview:
The Comptroller will manage and direct daily accounting activities; ensure proper accounting and recording of company transactions are performed in an accurate and timely manner; and produce financial and other key reports for management.
- Oversee accounting operations of the Center for the accurate and timely dissemination of financial management reports including, but not limited to, internal and external monthly financial statements and annual audits and annual budgets.
- Maintain the accounting systems to ensure the proper, complete, and accurate record-keeping of accounting transactions are performed within the Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
- Process or supervise the processing of all accounts payable and receivable transactions, bills and cash receipts.
- Review monthly accounting closing process, including performing an analytical review of monthly operating results to ensure that accurate accounting records are maintained.
- Coordinates year-end audit with external auditors and assists in the preparation of audit schedules, data, and information.
- Provides training, guidance, and direction to employees to ensure work is performed in an efficient, timely, and knowledgeable manner.
- Maintain cash schedules and assist with cash flow forecasting.
- Ensure preparation of bank account and general ledger account analyses and reconciliations
- Protect assets and the overall accuracy and reliability of financial reporting by establishing, monitoring and enforcing appropriate controls, policies and procedures.
- Ensure compliance with all applicable laws, rules and regulations.
- Oversee all financial, programs and grants accounting; ensure that expenditures are consistently aligned with grant and program budgets throughout the fund period.
- Perform all other tasks and fulfill all other responsibilities that may be assigned from time to time by the COO.
- Communicate with co-workers, management, clients and others in a courteous and professional manner.
Essential qualities, qualifications and skills:
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting, Finance or related field.
- MBA preferred.
- Ten years of hands-on accounting managerial experience with at least five years in the nonprofit industry.
- Advanced skills in Microsoft Office Suit.
- Exceptional organizational, collaborative, communication and partnering skills.
- Experience with Accounting Information Systems.
- Paid generous medical, dental, vision, disability and life insurance.
- 403(b) plan with opportunity for match.
- Generous time off policies.
- Relaxed work atmosphere and dress code.
Please apply by submitting a thoughtful cover letter and resume. The position will remain open until filled. No telephone calls, please. Only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
The Center for Biological Diversity deeply values, and is committed to sustaining and promoting, both biological and cultural diversity. We welcome, embrace and respect diversity of people, identities and cultures. We are committed to fostering an organizational culture of diversity and inclusion. The Center believes staff and board diversity is critical to saving life on Earth.
We are an equal opportunity employer.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
For more information, or to apply now, you must go to the website below. Please DO NOT email your resume to us as we only accept applications through our website.