855 Asylum Avenue
THE SALVATION ARMY
SOUTHERN NEW ENGLAND DIVISION
Position Title: Donor Relations Director
Location/Department: Divisional Headquarters, Development Department, Donor Relations (Hartford, CT)
Status: Full-time, Exempt
Hours Per Week: 40
Supervisor(s): Development Director
Scope & Purpose of Position:
The Donor Relations Director (DRD) will play an integral role in the success of the Division's fund development efforts, specifically leading major gift strategies within Connecticut and Rhode Island. The DRD will bear the responsibility for managing major donor caseloads within the Division. He or she will be in command of a portfolio of donors and prospects. In this role, the DRD will identify, cultivate, solicit, steward and upgrade major gift prospects and donors, acting as the primary contact between The Army and the donors.
The DRD will work with program and command staff in order to serve the complete needs of the Division’s major gift fundraising.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
- Establish and implement a strategic communications plan in order to identify, educate, cultivate and solicit gifts for major donors each fiscal year.
- Manage a caseload of 125 major donors, following the prescribed communications plan that is specific to each donor.
- Establish and work to meet annual goals for each major donor and for the major gifts program.
- Take the lead one-on-one solicitation, gift acknowledgement and stewardship communication.
- Work collaboratively with other fund development officers, ensuring collaboration between direct mail, foundation, corporate, and planned giving efforts.
- Help shape overall strategies to continually increase major gifts revenue and program growth.
- Provide assistance and leadership for written proposals for major donors.
Does this job have supervisory responsibilities: _x__ Yes ___ No
The above duties and responsibilities are not all inclusive and may be modified to include other job related duties at the discretion of the supervisor.
- At a minimum, a Bachelors degree and three years of experience in a non-profit fundraising role with a proven record of success
- Effective interpersonal skills and excellent written and oral communication abilities
- Proven expertise in building and maintaining positive relationships with diverse individuals
- Should enjoy problem solving and should exude energy and initiative
- Must have a high level of comfort with direct donor interaction, including discussions of personal and family finances, asking for money is a must
- Ability to participate in and engage in team projects and work independently in a complex environment
- Able to manage multiple projects and conflicting priorities
- Willingness to travel regularly within Connecticut and Rhode Island, and, occasionally, outside the Southern New England Division
- Demonstrated ability to set and achieve goals, as well as meet deadlines
- Proficiency in Word and Excel is required
- Experience with donor tracking and/or database software is preferred
- Will respect and promote the interest of The Salvation Army. The individual is not required to embrace the tenets of faith, but he/she is required to promote and respect the mission of The Salvation Army.
- It is understood that, as an employee of The Salvation Army, there may be occasion for the addition of other responsibilities as needed, per the direction of the Director of Development, Divisional Secretary or Divisional Commander.
The Salvation Army Mission Statement:
The Salvation Army, an international movement, is an evangelical part of the universal Christian Church. Its message is based on the Bible. Its ministry is motivated by the love of God. Its mission is to preach the gospel of Jesus Christ and to meet human needs in His name without discrimination.
Divisional Headquarters Vision Statement:
The Southern New England Divisional Headquarters exists to develop its Officers, staff, and volunteers to their fullest ministry potential and to be a catalyst and resource for the growing of healthy, vibrant Corps and other expressions of The Salvation Army mission.
The requirements listed in this document are the minimum levels of knowledge, skills, or abilities. This job description is subject to change as the needs of the employer and requirements of the position change.
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required