557 McReynolds Rd
In 2016, BADM opened the world’s first early childhood Fab Lab, a makerspace for children ages 0-10 to explore STEM and creativity through the use of both high and low tech tools. The Makerspace Educators that work in this space are highly motivated and outgoing individuals with excellent interpersonal and customer service skills that provide exceptional experiences to all of our visitors. The educator is this position will facilitate educational programming for children ages 0-10, including regularly scheduled weekend programs for the public, camps, school groups, special events and festivals. Additionally, the Makerspace Educator will assist in all aspects of the daily operation of the space as directed by their supervisor which includes, but is not limited to: program preparation, space organization, digital design or programming tasks, and maintenance of digital fabrication equipment. This is an entry-level, non-exempt position. Both part-time and full-time positions are available, but all schedules will include some weekend work.
- Operate and interface with Fab Lab equipment including Laser Cutter, Vinyl Cutter, 3-D Printer, CNC and Digital Sewing Machine.
- Model ways to safely use machines, equipment, and materials within the Fab Lab to other staff and visitors.
- Design and prepare pieces for Fab Lab programming when needed using digital design software, Fab Lab equipment, and hand tools.
- Create projects using various design software including Illustrator, Photoshop, and 3-D CAD software, and support children’s use of these programs.
- Facilitate programming in the Fab Lab for public programs, camps, school groups, festivals, special events, and other programming as assigned.
- Model appropriate practices for teaching and learning with young children, ages 0-10, to encourage curiosity, creative thinking, exploration and experimentation.
- Enforce safety and BADM policies in the Fab Lab.
- Assist in the setup and clean-up of class sessions, opening and closing of the space and maintain general cleanliness and organization of the Fab Lab.
- Provide excellent customer service and model a high level of professional conduct and communication with all visitors and staff while maintaining a safe, friendly, and orderly environment.
- Assists in all aspects of the daily operation and use of the Fab Lab and other duties and projects as assigned.
- Experience working with digital design and fabrication software including Adobe Illustrator, Adobe Photoshop, 3-D rendering applications, and 3-D Slicers.
- Experience running digital design tools including but not limited to: Laser Cutters, 3-D printers, CNC Machines, Vinyl Cutters, and Digital Sewing Machines.
- Design experience/background preferred.
- Comfort working in a fast-paced work environment.
- Experience and interest in working with young children 0-10 years old and their families.
- Able to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Demonstrated ability to resolve customer service situations.
- Able to work with a variety of people from various backgrounds and cultures.
- Capable of speaking in front of small groups of visitors.
- Must have excellent problem solving skills, be dependable, flexible and have an outgoing and friendly personality.
- A reliable source of transportation is required.
- Flexibility to adjust regular work schedule to accommodate holidays and special events is preferred.
- Ability to speak Spanish or Cantonese is preferred.
The Bay Area Discovery Museum offers a high-energy, results-oriented, creative and fun environment where all staff members contribute to creating an innovative environment that helps us achieve our mission. BADM provides 100% employer-paid medical, dental, vision, life, and long-term disability insurance to all full-time employees, as well as generous paid time off starting at 4 weeks per year. In addition, we offer the knowledge that your skills impact over 300,000 museum visitors each year onsite and many more in the community through BADM’s Center for Childhood Creativity.
The Bay Area Discovery Museum is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Qualified candidates should apply online at:
Please be prepared to provide both a resume and cover letter, which will be requested in two different steps of the application process.
NOTE TO CANDIDATE
Due to the sensitivity and requirements of our positions, you should expect to undergo and be cleared of an employment background/criminal check, if extended an offer for employment. You may also be asked to provide proof of educational