This position is funded through December 31, 2018
Safe Horizon’s Streetwork Project is the oldest street outreach program for homeless and street-involved youth in New York City. Streetwork’s programs are innovative outreach-counseling programs for homeless youth, which use a harm reduction approach. Through Streetwork, the Social Worker would be co-located at Administration for Children’s Services (ACS) Children’s Center which provides ACS pre-placement services to children and youth who are entering foster care. The Social Worker will facilitate socio-educational groups, interact directly with youth to engage them into receiving services and provide training to Child and Family Specialist staff.
Essential Job Functions:
- Work in collaboration with Child and Family Specialist [CFS] staff in identifying youth who have been or at high risk for sexual exploitation.
- Provide on- site supportive counseling to youth for the purpose of engaging them into receiving services;
- Coordinate with CFS to screen and assess youth in order to inform the placement process when needed.
- Provide training and technical assistance to CFS at the Children’s Center and borough offices on the issue of child sexual exploitation and skills around assessing and engaging youth who have been or at high risk of being sexually exploited.
- Organize structured groups and activities to meet the needs of the population on a daily basis.
- Compile statistical data and reports.
- Participate in bi-weekly supervision
- Understanding of issues confronting target population
- Compassionate non-judgmental style
- Masters in social work or related field
- Three (3) years experience providing services to at-risk youth required.
- Bilingual (Spanish/English) preferred.
- Experience with youth involved in commercial sex trade and homeless youth population utilizing a harm reduction philosophy preferred.
- Familiarity with the NYC Child Welfare System
- Full time 35 hours per week
- 3:30pm-11:30pm Tuesday to Saturday
If hired, I agree to abide by all of Safe Horizon’s rules and regulations, and understand that, if employed, my employment may be terminated with or without cause, and with or without notice, at any time, at the option of either the company or me. I further understand that no representation, whether oral or written by any representative or agent of the organization, at any time, constitutes a contract of employment
AmeriCorps, Peace Corps and other national service alumni are encouraged to apply
Please follow this link to view complete EEO Law and complaint filing information:
Minimum Education Required