The Alliance for Climate Education (ACE) exists to confront climate change as the most urgent crisis of our time, threatening the health of communities and ecosystems across the globe. ACE’s mission is to educate young people on the science of climate change and empower them to take action. Since our founding in 2008, ACE has educated over 3 million youth, grown our action network to 300,000 members, tracked over 1 million climate actions, and registered and turned out tens of thousands of first-time climate voters.
The Director, Distributed Organizing is responsible for leading ACE’s distributed organizing work nationally and in our key states. This position will be responsible for managing the day-to-day operations of ACE’s chapter-based organizing activities, the associated digital tools and platforms needed for success, providing coaching and management support to ACE’s state-based Chapter Managers, and working closely with the organization’s Civic Engagement Director, Campaign Director, and other internal teams to engage chapters in climate advocacy and civic action taking.
ACE Chapters across the US will engage in local, state and national campaign work in the following areas: 1. climate education and storytelling to shift the public narrative, 2. civic engagement to increase youth participation in our democracy, and 3. climate advocacy to end the era of fossil fuels and usher in a renewable energy future.
This position is a key leadership position, overseeing four state-based Chapter Managers and supporting the day-to-day implementation of related programs.
- Oversee all aspects of ACE’s distributed organizing work nationally and in the organization's key states of: AZ, FL, GA, NC, OH, NV, PA, TX, and WI.
- Manage and train others in complex digital tools and platforms (community forums/ learning management systems/ distributed messaging tools) to support potentially thousands of youth-led organizing chapters around the US to engage in local, state and national climate advocacy and civic engagement activities.
- Run regular and frequent on-boarding training, mass calls and other online events to bring new chapters online, and support existing chapters with campaign work and action taking.
- Regularly liaise with chapters and youth leaders that need support outside of ACE’s key states.
- Directly manage, coach and mentor four state-based Chapter Managers.
- Develop and manage strategic campaigns and digital engagement initiatives for ACE Chapters, including working closely with the Head of Growth and Strategy, Campaign Director, Civic Engagement Director, and ACE’s internal campaigns team.
- Manage complex national and state budgets, and ensure grant deliverables are met or exceeded, and within budget.
- Supports strategy development for distributed organizing work, and chapter-based advocacy, campaigns, civic engagement activities in partnership with the Head of Growth and Strategy, Head of Civic Engagement and Campaigns, Campaign Director and Civic Engagement Director.
- Manages all aspects of ACE’s day-to-day chapter-based work nationally and in the key states of: civic engagement work and campaign work nationally, and in ACE’s key states of: AZ, FL, GA, NC, OH, NV, PA, TX, and WI.
- Analyzes, interprets, and develops solutions for complex policy and campaign issues that impact the organization, and works to influence public policy that benefits the organization’s mission.
- Works closely with the Campaigns and Digital Engagement Team, Data, Technology and Evaluation Team,and Civic Engagement Team to ensure close collaboration, and clear and consistent communication across the organization.
- Develops and maintains effective and productive relationships with vendors, business partnerships, relevant key stakeholders, educational institutions, governmental agencies, and other organizations.
- Assists with organizational involvement in movement moments and events.
- Assists with related special projects as required.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Minimum of 5-7+ years of work experience in distributed or chapter-based organizing models, and the associated digital tools and technology administration.
- Experience in climate justice campaigning and advocacy, civic engagement, public policy, democracy, or other social justice work.
- Experience managing a diverse team remotely in multiple states.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Strong organizational, problem-solving, and analytical skills.
- Ability to manage priorities and workflows.
- Versatility, flexibility, and a willingness to work within constantly changing priorities with enthusiasm.
- Demonstrated ability to plan and organize complex projects with success.
- Ability to work independently, and also as a member of various teams and committees.
- Proven leadership and professional acumen skills.
- Proven ability to handle multiple projects and meet deadlines.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Creative, flexible, and innovative team player.
- Demonstrated ability to make successful presentations to individuals and/or groups at all levels of an organization, and externally.
- Ability to effectively communicate with people at all levels and from diverse backgrounds.