Development Associate (Full-time Position)
South Asian Youth Action (SAYA)
Are you interested in a career in nonprofit? Do you work well on a team? As the Development & Communications Associate at South Asian Youth Action (SAYA), you will gain comprehensive understanding of nonprofit fundraising and marketing functions while cultivating transferable professional skills. SAYA is committed to providing its employees with opportunities for growth and room for creativity in a supportive environment.
SAYA: Belong. Grow. Thrive.
South Asian Youth Action (SAYA) is a 501(c)3 organization for New York City youth ranging in age from first graders to college students. SAYA is South Asian-focused, inclusive and committed to connecting young people from all backgrounds to opportunities. Our mission is to foster a strong sense of belonging in youth and provide them with tools to thrive academically, professionally and personally. Many of our participants are first- or second-generation immigrants and face challenges that can hinder their chances to be academically successful, graduate high school and go to college. SAYA provides an accessible, safe and culturally affirming space for all youth and offers mentorship beyond the classroom so they confidently grow into engaged community members ready for college, career and personal success. Established in 1996, SAYA has grown into a $4.3 million organization currently running programs at nine NYC schools and our community center in Elmhurst, Queens.
SAYA is seeking a Development & Communications Associate who can support our growing development efforts. They will assist with strategies and procedures around our donor database enhancement and upkeep, as well as with expanding our overall web and social media presence. The ideal candidate is a self-starter, methodical worker, creative thinker, team player, and strong writer who can meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment. They have exceptional organizational skills, with an eye for detail and genuine belief in SAYA's mission. Nonprofit experience, preferably in fundraising, is desirable.
Director of Development & Communications
· Assist in the management of SAYA’s donor database, tracking all current and prospective donors, grants, proposals, and reports and inputting and double checking data.
· Process donations and prepare acknowledgement letters and other related correspondences.
· Provide support to the Grants & Communications Manager in maintaining the communications calendar, including but not limited to email blasts, social media, and donor communications.
· Collect, draft, schedule, and post social media content for the organization on a regular basis. Monitor social channels and respond in accordance with institutional priorities and best practices.
· Along with the Grants & Communications Manager, collect information for, build, and send out all email blasts for SAYA.
· Gather and analyze communication response rates with an eye toward improvement. Troubleshoot email issues and update contact records as needed.
· Provide administrative support to the Executive Director and Board of Directors.
· Coordinate and plan all aspects of Board related meetings, including full Board meetings, annual retreat, and committee calls/meetings.
· Plan and coordinate meetings with current and prospective funders.
· Prepare print and electronic materials for potential donors.
· Provide meeting follow up support, ensuring all necessary documentation is logged in and relevant materials are distributed to appropriate individuals.
· Support development team with composing grant applications, reports, updates and other related communications.
· Support development team with the planning and execution of the annual gala and other special events.
· Other duties as assigned by the Director of Development & Communications.
· Bachelor’s degree required.
· 1-2 years of relevant non-profit experience, with an emphasis on fundraising and development preferred.
· Excellent writing, communication and project management skills.
· Strong social media skills.
· Demonstrated ability to conduct research and synthesize information from a variety of
· Flexible, proactive and self-directed team player, with the ability to work both independently and on a team.
· Strong interpersonal and organizational skills, ability to work in a fast-paced, challenging environment.
· Proven commitment to the South Asian community and/or youth development.
· Experience with Blackbaud Raiser’s Edge or other donor database software and communication platforms a plus.
The ideal candidate will excel in the following areas:
1. High level of comfort with data systems and analytics.
2. Social media savviness and ease in adapting to new communication platforms and technologies.
3. Project management and organizational skills.
SAYA offers a generous benefits package and provides its employee a healthy work-life balance in a fast-growing youth development nonprofit.
Minimum Education Required