40 West 20th Street
The Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC) is the nation's most effective environmental action group, combining the grassroots power of 3 million members and online activists with the courtroom clout and expertise of nearly 600 lawyers, scientists and other professionals to fight for the planet and its people in the halls of Congress, communities across the country, and nations around the globe. NRDC was founded in 1970 and our staff helped write some of America's bedrock environmental laws, including the Clean Water Act, and many of the implementing regulations; our water enforcement cases played a major role shaping current water policy throughout the country. Today, our staff – a force for nature - work out of offices in New York, Washington, Chicago, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Bozeman, Montana and Beijing.
NRDC is seeking a staff Accountant to work with the Accounting team in our New York office. The staff Accountant assists the Accounting Manager with key duties; prepares key month-end journal entries and completes special projects as assigned.
- Post all bank cash transactions into the general ledger.
- Prepares key month-end and year-end journal entries for financial reporting in accordance with GAAP.
- Reconcile key account balances to the general ledger on a monthly basis.
- Bank Reconciliations – including investigation of differences and notifying supervisor of all variances.
- Assists in preparation of Indirect Cost schedules.
- Assist with the annual audits including the preparation of lead sheets and other supporting schedules
- Annual surveys and filing.
- Performs special projects as assigned.
- 3-5 years of progressive financial accounting experience.
- Bachelors in Accounting required.
- Great Plains experience a plus.
- Ability to work in a team environment and prioritize and execute concurrent assignments.
- Good written and oral communication skills; ability to organize a number of tasks, set priorities, and pay meticulous attention to detail.
- Excellent customer (employee) service skills and ability to work with all levels of staff.
- Possess a professional demeanor and be a positive thinker.
- Strong interpersonal, technical and analytical skills.
NRDC is committed to workplace diversity and inclusion. We are equal opportunity employers and do not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. We offer competitive salaries, excellent benefits, and a pleasant working environment. Salary is based on a nonprofit scale and commensurate with experience.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, for positions based in San Francisco, CA we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
To apply, please visit www.nrdc.org/jobs and upload your resume and cover letter through our online portal. Please no phone calls, emails, faxes or in-person resume drop-offs. Please reference where you saw this posting. NRDC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
If you are having technical difficulty while applying, please reach out to iCIMS Customer Care at 1-800-889-4422.
For further information about NRDC, please visit www.nrdc.org
Minimum Education Required