Bilingual Youth Counselor (Gang Intervention, Prevention, and Education)
- Job posted by Northern Virginia Family Service
Details: This is a full-time, benefited position located in Oakton, VA.
10455 White Granite Drive
The mission of NVFS is to empower individuals and families to improve their quality of life, and to promote community cooperation and support in responding to family needs. The IPE program serves youth ages 10-21 who are at risk for gang involvement, are currently gang involved, or have been victimized by gang violence. The Youth Counselor will provide short-term case management services to address youth’s unique gang-intervention (for example, safety planning on how to leave a gang safely or refusal and resistance skills training to resist recruitment efforts).
This position will primarily work with girls referred for services often addressing needs related to healthy relationships, histories of sexual assault, sex trafficking victimization, and domestic violence. Other interventions with youth include safety planning on how to leave a gang safely or refusal and resistance skills training to resist recruitment efforts.
Essential Job Duties:
- Conduct intake and short-term case management services to assigned case load in accordance with IPE Service Delivery Model, including assessment, goal plan development, and referral
- Provide gang awareness education to referred youth and their parents
- Provide life skills education and intervention in accordance with client’s goal plan and resource needs
- Participate in planning and implementation of group-based activities for IPE clients
- Initiate and maintain collaborative contact with other providers working with the youth and their family, including the referral source, and appropriate school personnel in order to effectively coordinate service delivery and monitor client’s progress towards goals
- Develop and maintain collaborative relationships with other community partners
- Develop and implement plans to educate and increase gang awareness in the community
- Prepare statistical and narrative reports as required
Education and experience required:
- Bachelor’s degree in social work, human services, or criminal justice from an accredited college or university
- At least 2 years related direct service experience in human services, youth development, case management, and / or working with at-risk youth
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of gang dynamics
- Oral and written proficiency in English, with Spanish proficiency required
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite
- Clean DMV record; valid U.S. driver’s license and own/reliable transportation
- Ability to work a flexible schedule; evening, weekend, and on-call availability required
- Must be comfortable with undesirable home conditions
- Successful completion of background checks required upon hire
This description is intended to describe the essential job functions and requirements for the performance of this job. It is not an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and requirements of a person so classified.
Northern Virginia Family Service is a private, non-profit human service organization with a $37 million annual budget, 450+ employees, 4,500+ volunteers, and offices located throughout Northern Virginia. Serving nearly 35,000 children and families, our programs encompass core service areas that empower local families to improve their quality of life: housing and emergency services; health and mental health services; early childhood education and child placement services; intervention and prevention programs; job training; and legal services. Northern Virginia Family Service is an Equal Opportunity Employer and E-Verify participant.
This is a full-time, benefited position located in Oakton, VA.
NVFS is committed to providing a comprehensive, competitive and cost-effective benefits package that promotes a culture of employee well-being. NVFS shares a significant portion of the premium cost for employee and dependent health, dental and vision insurance, and also provides a rich array of benefits offerings to meet the wide variety of employee needs. All benefits, except for the 401k plan, are effective the first of the month following the date of hire.
Level of Language Proficiency
Oral and written fluency in English and Spanish are required.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please click below to browse our current openings and apply for any that interest you. You will receive an email confirmation of your application. The Hiring Manager will contact you directly to schedule an interview if your qualifications and experience appear to be a suitable match and you are selected for an interview. If you do not see a position that is right for you at this time, we hope you will revisit us to learn about future opportunities.