32 West North Street
York Academy is the only school of its kind in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. Chartered by three school districts, we are a nonprofit public charter school fully authorized as an International Baccalaureate (IB) Primary and Middle School. Our students come from three chartering districts (Central York, York City and York Suburban) with dramatically different racial and socio-economic profiles. Students from eight other districts in York County add to the diversity of our student population. York Academy was born out of YorkCounts after the 1996 publication of the results of a study conducted by David Rusk, an internationally-recognized urban policy expert. Educational researchers have consistently found that the economic status of a child’s family and of the child's classmates are the most powerful factors shaping success in school. In keeping with this research, The Rusk Report detailed the dramatic improvement in academic performance of low-income children who attend strong, middle-class schools. The founders of York Academy intentionally created a tri-district regional charter school to demonstrate that placing students of differing income, racial, and ethnic backgrounds in a demanding academic setting will enhance learning for all.
York Academy opened on August 22, 2011 with students in grades K-2. We have added one grade each successive school year, and will reach full implementation as a K-12 academic institution in 2022 when we will enroll 1,375 students from across York County.
York Academy recently completed a successful $4 million capital campaign and opened our new Upper School in August of 2018. International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme authorization lies ahead of us, and will be in place by 2020.
York Academy emphasizes inquiry-based learning and critical thinking to prepare a student for higher education and the 21st century globalized environment. We have created an academically rigorous program that has the potential to be a national model in education. We are committed to developing young people into future leaders and active, knowledgeable and caring members of a world-wide, diverse society.
General Responsibilities of the CEO
The Chief Executive Officer (CEO) works at the direction of the Board of Trustees and oversees he fiscal, educational, and operational areas of the upper and lower schools at York Academy. The CEO is responsible for ensuring that the public charter school’s academic programs and operations are successful and faithful to the terms of both their charter and the IB World School Curriculum.
Critical Responsibilities of the CEO
- Leads and promotes the ideals of the International Baccalaureate Programme.
- Accept leadership accountability for continuous improvement and implementation of the mission, vision, goals, values, and policies of York Academy.
- Represent, communicate, and advocate on behalf of the Academy at authorizing agencies, local school districts, local and state government agencies, and business partners, as directed by the Board.
- Ensure legal and ethical integrity in the Academy.
- Recruit, manage, evaluate, provide leadership to, and inspire the leadership team, including Heads and Assistant Heads of School.
- Execute all decisions approved by the Board. Understand that authority resides with the Board, organizational bylaws, Articles of Incorporation, charter agreements, state and federal law.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Click here to view the entire CEO Job Description: http://yorkacademy.com/employment
To apply for the York Academy CEO position, please send a cover letter, along with your resume or C.V., to Tina Ziegler at email@example.com. Priority consideration will be given to individuals who submit their materials by Friday, November 2, 2018.