2329 S. 3rd Street
About Theatre Exile
Theatre Exile is a nonprofit theater company dedicated to enhancing the cultural experiences of all Philadelphians through the staging of works that engage the imagination. We have a small team of dedicated individuals who work together to produce high-level theatre. We produce challenging plays that explore the complexities of the human condition and contain a sense of true Philadelphia grit and passion. We are constantly striving to reach out to new theater audiences throughout the community by presenting both new works as well as established plays that are often reinterpreted in original ways. We believe in freedom of expression formulated through innovation, exploration, and provocation. At the same time, we provide a safe and creative environment in which local artists can grow and experiment and ultimately, find their own voice.
We traditionally produce three mainstage productions, a new play development series, an education program which includes outreach and classes, as well as special events.
Theatre Exile is an equal opportunity employer and hires without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Please note, however, Theatre Exile’s current administrative space is not wheelchair accessible.
Theatre Exile has a small team of dedicated individuals who work together to produce high level theatre. The General Manager is an important support role to the administrative and production staff. The General Manager must be a resourceful individual with strong self-motivation, organization, communication and strong financial and analytical skills. The General Manager must have a passion for the work of Theatre Exile. The General Manager will report directly to the Producing Artistic Director. It is a full-time position that is responsible for the following areas of focus:
· Office management
· Financial Management
· Cross department coordination
· Community engagement
Office management duties include but are not limited to:
· Ordering supplies, filing, mailings, managing utilities, maintaining Google calendars and apps, managing lease for copy machine, coordinate technical problem-solving and venue and office maintenance
· Supporting the administrative staff and production manager by helping to create and execute a strong organizational support structure and clean office environment
· Answering the phones and handling basic sales needs such as ticket and subscription sales
· Coordinating insurance, payroll and other organizational and business needs
· Project management in any organizational projects such as a technical or venue improvements
· Becoming a PatronManager Certified Administrator to support staff with all CRM system needs
Cross department coordination duties include but are not limited to:
· Managing staff meetings
· Creating any needed interoffice communication systems to help keep office and external staff informed of Exile’s activities
· Participating in organizational problem-solving discussions and long-term vision discussions
· Working with department heads to assist in the creation of any contracts needed
· Working with Marketing Director in the creation of data analysis with a focus on connecting financial data and audience activities.
· Work with Producing Artistic Director and other staff members to create job descriptions and manage hiring process for all administrative, front of house, and production positions.
· Manage and administer internship program.
Financial Management duties include but are not limited to:
· Overseeing and/or executing bookkeeping including managing invoices, payables and receivables, monthly reconciliations, check cutting, deposits, etc
· Managing petty cash
· Acting as the financial liaison to each of the departments including benchmarking department spending against budget
· Creating and managing cash flow projections
· Create monthly financial reports and narratives to present to Producing Artistic Director and Board Finance Committee
· Assisting Producing Artistic Director in creating yearly month to month budgets and transferring budgets to QuickBooks
· Creating budgets and financial reports and narratives to support fundraising and grant writing efforts
Community engagement duties
We consider every staff member at Theatre Exile a liaison to our community. Duties in this area include but are not limited to:
· Being a staff representative at performances and events when needed
· Assisting Production Manager in the coordination of space and/or resource rentals
· Working with Production Manager to manage community activities in our venue
· Being part of the team when representing Theatre Exile in the community such as helping man a table at neighborhood events
· Strong financial and financial analytical skills
· Organizational skills
· Communications skills (written/verbal) and interpersonal savvy
· Results/action-orientation; project management skills
· Personal code of ethics, integrity, diversity and trust
· Able to successfully navigate within varying degrees of ambiguity in a fast-paced environment
· Manage multiple projects concurrently
· Strong analytical skills with expertise in Excel, QuickBooks, Microsoft, and database management systems.
· Experience managing budgets
· Passion for the arts
· Minimum of two years experience in a position that would have prepared the person to assume listed duties.
· Experience in an arts organization preferred but not required
· Bachelor’s degree preferred but not required
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Email a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.