Details: DPA offers a competitive salary
Title: Manager, Multimedia Design
Supervisor: Director, Multimedia
Location: New York, NY
Last Day to Apply: Applications will be reviewed immediately and will be accepted until the position is filled.
The Drug Policy Alliance is the leading organization in the U.S. promoting alternatives to the war on drugs. We envision a just society in which the use and regulation of drugs are grounded in science, compassion, health, and human rights; in which people are no longer punished for what they put into their own bodies but only for crimes against others; and in which the fears, prejudices, and punitive prohibitions of today are no more. Our mission is to advance those policies and attitudes that best reduce the harms of both drug misuse and drug prohibition, and to promote the sovereignty of individuals over their minds and bodies.
The Manager, Multimedia Design will join our passionate, diverse, and creative team at a critical time for the drug policy reform movement in the United States. U.S. leaders are now doubling down on the war on drugs, using it as a tool to stoke fear in society and rally their base, and as an excuse to lock up or deport people of color and immigrants. Tens of thousands of people are dying from opioid overdoses, with little meaningful response by the federal government. At the same time, we are seeing state and local governments taking action, increasingly legalizing marijuana, passing Good Samaritan laws, and even exploring safe consumption sites. Public opinion, too, is increasingly in our favor, with ever larger numbers of people supporting alternatives to current policies of prohibition and criminalization. In this context, DPA’s expertise on drug policy, rigorous analysis, and strong, principled voice stand to make an enormous difference in shaping public opinion and policy, and ultimately making a concrete difference to the lives of millions in the U.S. and beyond.
Over the last 15 years, DPA has expanded from its New York headquarters to a total of eight offices, close to 80 staff, an annual operating budget of approximately $17 million, 25,000 dues-paying members and more than 300,000 online subscribers. It has a solid track record of success at the local, state, and federal levels and consistent visibility in prominent media and policy circles. For more information, please visit our website at www.drugpolicy.org.
Managed by the Director, Multimedia, and working closely with all Communications team members, the Manager, Multimedia Design will develop concepts for, create and edit timely graphics, promotional videos, podcasts, and promotional materials upholding a high standard of design for all DPA communications products. This position plays a key role in strengthening engagement among existing audiences; helping us reach new supporters with creative and compelling messages that support our advocacy, policy, and fundraising goals; and further establishing DPA as a visionary thought leader in drug policy.
Print and Digital Graphic Design
- Work with communications and policy team members to strategize and design informational graphics, web and social media assets, and promotional materials and advertisements for events
- Design solutions for research reports and editorial initiatives such as maps, infographics and other data visualizations.
- Manage projects through to completion, from concept and design to production.
Promotional Video Production and Asset Management
- Work with communications and policy team members to strategize and develop content.
- Create and edit short-form promotional content to educate and inform viewers in creative, compelling ways using DPA event footage, photos and graphics for web and social media.
- Research, source, and license video, photo and music content to be used as b-roll from stock agencies, wire services and private individuals.
- Execute post-production, including video and audio color correction and format conversion
- Build and maintain video templates and efficient workflows to optimize video production.
- Organize projects, image and video files, and metadata into a data asset management system.
- Manage DPA YouTube channels
- Manage projects from concept to completion, ensuring that all key stakeholders are always informed and pieces are delivered on schedule.
- Contribute to recording and editing of DPA podcast working closely with Director, Multimedia.
Visual Brand and Asset Management
- Serve as organizational brand champion and oversee usage of brand assets, ensuring consistency of branding across all departments.
- Work with design and development consultants as needed on publications, marketing materials, e-communications, and websites.
- Develop and support flexible design tools (templates, etc.) that make DPA team members more self-sufficient.
Special Projects as Required and Assigned by Supervisor
Our ideal candidate is a creative self-starter with impeccable communications skills and a strong interest in social justice work related to drug policy, criminal justice, harm reduction, human rights, civil rights, and racial justice. They must be highly organized and able to create assets for diverse audiences.
The ideal candidate will have:
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in design, marketing, or other disciplines that emphasize visual storytelling and multimedia editing;
- 2-3 years professional work experience, preferably with a non-profit or advocacy organization;
- Experience in Adobe Creative Cloud (InDesign/Photoshop/Premiere Pro, After Effects);
- Experience with animation/motion graphics;
- Experience producing video for social media platforms;
- Experience with sound mixing and editing a strong plus;
- Knowledge of HTML/CSS a plus;
- Experience with PhotoShelter a plus;
- Strong, conceptual thinker who possesses a wide range of design capabilities, with emphasis on photography, videography, and promotional design;
- Able to problem solve and find multiple design solutions, while being nimble under shifting project goals and timelines;
- Solid communication skills and demonstrated experience working effectively across departments in a fast-paced environment;
- Strong work ethic, organizational skills and pro-active work style;
- Strong attention to detail;
- Ability to assess and manage multiple competing priorities and excellent time management skills;
- Familiarity with drug policy reform and key thematic issue areas of DPA’s programs;
- Enthusiasm about communications and influencing media and public opinion.
Terms of Employment
This position requires the candidate to live in the New York Metropolitan Area. Telecommuting will not be considered. Some travel required.
DPA offers a competitive salary and benefits package that includes health, dental, long-term disability, and life insurance; a generous 403(b) plan; and 25 days paid time off.
Applications will be reviewed immediately and will be accepted until the position is filled.
Please submit your application with resume, cover letter, and brief writing sample at: https://drugpolicy.bamboohr.com/jobs
No phone calls, please. We will only contact candidates who are under consideration.
The Drug Policy Alliance is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. DPA encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, ethnicity, personal appearance, political affiliation, family responsibility, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status and record of arrest or conviction. We are particularly interested in hiring people who have been adversely affected by the war on drugs.
DPA offers a competitive benefits package that includes health, dental, long-term disability, and life insurance; a generous 403(b) plan; and 25 days paid time off.
Minimum Education Required