Cat Care Coordinator/Foster and Medical Assistant
- Job posted by Merrimack River Feline Rescue Society
63 Elm Street
The Cat Care Coordinator/Foster and Medical Assistant provides appropriate care and sanitation for MRFRS cats during cat care shifts, and directs volunteers during those shifts. This individual also assists the MRFRS Shelter Manager/Health Care Coordinator in optimizing the health and well-being of all cats in the MRFRS Shelter building, as well as those in foster care.
Cat Care Responsibilities:
• Administer medications and other treatments to shelter cats as needed/as directed by Health Care Coordinator during assigned shifts (on some shifts this may be covered by volunteers), including, but not limited to: administering sub-Q fluids, syringe feeding, performing blood glucose checks, administering insulin, etc.
• Responsible for cleaning and feeding in the sick room during assigned shifts if other volunteers are not assigned.
• Monitor shelter cats, particularly those in the sick room; relay concerns to the Healthcare Coordinator.
• Make quick decisions regarding immediate care needs in emergencies; handle any emergency situations or intakes that occur before/after hours.
• Ensure that volunteers are following proper sanitation protocols, filling out cage checklists, and following instructions on signs and cage cards; answer any questions volunteers have on these or other issues; report major issues to Volunteer Coordinator and/or Healthcare Coordinator.
• Perform chores such as laundry, trash removal, running dishwasher, etc. as needed.
• Assist with shelter cleaning duties if a volunteer shift is understaffed.
• Work on all non-major holidays (all holidays other than Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year’s Day) that your normally scheduled shifts fall on (see MRFRS HR manual for additional holiday information, including compensation).
• Participate in major holiday (Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year’s Day) cat care rotation with other adoption center staff (usually one shift/year; see MRFRS HR manual for additional holiday information, including compensation).
Medical/Foster Assistant Duties:
• Assist Healthcare Coordinator with intakes, intake-related paperwork, and database entry.
• Assist Healthcare Coordinator and/or volunteer techs with drawing blood & preparing it for laboratory submission, and implanting microchips.
• Assist Healthcare Coordinator with keeping health records up to date for all MRFRS cats, especially after vaccine updates, vet rounds, or spay/neuter surgery; ensure that most up-to-date record is filed in cat’s paper file.
• Work with Healthcare Coordinator to restrain fractious cats as needed.
• Assist Healthcare Coordinator with preparation for shelter cat spay/neuter days on the Catmobile as directed.
• Run report on vaccinations needed; administer and record those vaccines.
• Work with facilities assistant to report ordering needs to purchaser when supplies are running low.
• Assist with transport to/from offsite veterinarians when volunteers are unable to do so.
• Assist with logging all controlled substances properly upon arrival and store according to DEA regulations.
• Prepare medications for foster homes, Care for Life adopters, and shelter cats on weekend shifts or when Healthcare Coordinator is not in.
• Assist Healthcare Coordinator with foster home coordination, especially on the weekends (including contacting foster homes to check availability; sending cats/kittens to foster care; ensuring that medications, etc. go with foster cats as needed; assisting foster homes with questions or issues; coordinating return of foster cats to the shelter).
• Assist with reviewing received foster home applications and approving foster volunteers.
• Assist with scheduling and performing foster home orientations.
• Participate in on-call medical emergency rotation nights, weekends, and holidays along with Healthcare Coordinator and/or other staff.
• Assist shelter manager with making intake decisions for local cats, MA rescuers, and FeLV cats in addition to scheduling the intakes.
• Monitor email@example.com email address
• Assisting Health Care Coordinator during vet rounds
• Assisting with planning of where cats should be housed in the building.
• Send daily update if Health Care Coordinator is not in or on vacation.
• Assist with euthanasia decisions
• Assist with rabies clinic coordination if applicable
• Assisting with planning/coordination of Whisker Wonderland.
• Cross-train to assist adoption staff with doing adoptions if needed.
• Attend all special adoption events, and other occasional adoption center events.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Assist all visitors to the shelter with their needs to the best of your ability, or by finding another staff person to help them.
• Serve as a positive face for our organization at all times.
• Assist with adoptions during particularly busy times as you are able.
• Attend all special adoption events, and occasional other adoption center events.
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send your resume with a cover letter note summarizing your experience and qualitifcatios.
• Outstanding customer service skills and a strong desire to work with people.
• Excellent communication skills, both written and oral.
• Must be able to lead and direct others, but also be able to work with minimal supervision.
• Prior cat-handling and medicating experience required.
• Should have or be willing to get rabies pre-exposure vaccine series.
• Basic computer and math skills required.
• Ability to lift 25-40 lbs. required.