Wags & Walks is a 501c3 nonprofit dog rescue in Los Angeles. We are a community of dog lovers working to promote shelter dogs as the best dogs in the world through advocacy of our unique family-friendly foster and adoption programs.
An Adoptions counselor is responsible for summarizing applications for adoption, contacting and screening applicants both via phone and in person, conducting onsite meet and greets and adoptions, and following up with adopters. This job requires a friendly, enthusiastic and highly organized person who is an excellent communicator and a skilled collaborator. The ideal person for this position is a passionate, outgoing, and intuitive team player.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Summarize applications for adoption, contact and screen applicants via phone.
- Stay up to date and informed about the 150+ dogs that are regularly in our care, so you can best provide updates to our team and prospective adopters.
- Educate adopters about the process and commitment of adopting a dog and then matching them with the right dog that is best for each unique applicant, and our organization.
- Help with donor development by communicating with the development team about adopters (as they are some of our best contributors.
- Maintain applicant correspondence via text and email; label and sort messages accordingly and keep replies within a 24 hour window.
- Conduct onsite meet and greets, and adoptions; handle dogs of all sizes at appointments safely, confidently, and with care.
- Schedule routine check-ins with both prospective and recent adopters; troubleshoot behavioral and medical issues and facilitate connections between clients and the medical/ behavioral departments accordingly.
- Communicate clearly and efficiently across teams via slack and google spreadsheets; upkeep information re: pending/ upcoming appointments and dog availability in a consistent and timely manner.
- Must be a dog lover and possess some knowledge of basic dog behavior and needs. Must be willing to get hands dirty, be flexible and reliable.
- Must have excellent customer service experience, proven attention to detail, good organizational and time management skills.
- Must be a creative problem solver, a critical thinker, and highly motivated to learn and grow both as a professional colleague and a dog handler.
- Must be a team player and have a positive attitude. Personable, professional, upbeat and energetic.
- Must have the ability to communicate skillfully and effectively with a diverse community in a professional, pleasant, respectful manner and use good judgement.
- Must be extremely passionate about the Wags & Walks mission, animal advocacy, and rescue.
- Must be able to sit at a desk in front of a computer for several hours; must routinely operate a computer and other office machinery.
- Must be able to lift up to 50 lbs to help move kennel crates, dog food, and other supplies.
- Must have proficiency with computers including word, excel, slack and google docs. Ability to learn new technology quickly.
- Must have a current and valid California Driver’s License.
- Must be able to work a flexible schedule that includes evenings and both weekend days.