Reading Partners is changing the education landscape. We are a leader in working to solve the literacy crisis in our country by leveraging community volunteers in under-resourced schools. Our diverse and expansive volunteer base provides one-on-one tutoring to students twice weekly, and our program is proven to help children master the reading fundamentals they need to unlock their potential as successful, happy and confident readers in school and in life. Our people are our heartbeat and our greatest resource; we are all passionately rallied around our mission to help children become lifelong learners by empowering communities to provide individualized instruction that truly works. Join our stellar, committed team leading the charge to deepen our impact and expand our service. Watch this video to learn more about the work and mission of Reading Partners.
The high level:
The vision of the marketing & communications (M&C) team is to build one of the most admired and magnetic brands in the early reading and service movements in the communities we serve and across our current and future footprint in the US. In order to do so, we aim to attract, engage, and inspire a broad network of supporters to amplify our brand voice and take action to advance our organization’s mission. We build awareness, long-term affinity, and engagement with Reading Partners among a diverse network of supporters and we inspire individuals to take action to ensure that students in all communities have the reading support they need to reach their potential.
Reporting directly to the national director of marketing & communications, the marketing & communications associate will serve as a social media and content marketing specialist within the organization, helping to drive engagement at both the national and regional level through social media research and targeted trainings. The associate will also lead our department’s efforts to develop toolkits and other best practice materials that can be leveraged by regional teams and national departments. This is an exciting role that will allow the associate to develop deep functional expertise in specific areas while also being able to contribute to broader department and organizational initiatives.
What you’ll do:
The marketing & communications associate will drive and support a number of key marketing and communications initiatives.
- Social Media:
- Manage group meetings, trainings, resource development, and support for our network of regional social media leads. In doing so, you’ll keep regional leads teams informed and on task to meet org-wide annual growth goals. .
- Drive content strategy for our national social media properties (Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Instagram). Implement strategies and tactics to significantly grow social media likes, followers, and engagement.
- Develop best practice trainings and provide ongoing support for regional social media leads
- Develop and implement compelling social media campaigns that drive further engagement among our core audiences
- Cull best practice research and deliver training across the organization
- Facilitate high-quality blog content, proactively co-create a plan outlining strategic national conferences Reading Partners leaders should participate in to help strengthen our brand profile among core target audiences (i.e. funders, educators, elected officials, etc.)
- Research, develop, and share marketing best practices and toolkits in an effort to create an organization culture where everyone can serve as an effective marketer
- Research and implement marketing & communications best practices
- Search for and aggregate best-in-class marketing & communications examples from across the organization, not just from our team
- Develop sharing strategies for best practices in the form of trainings, toolkits and through other internal resources and platforms (The Library, Google Drive, etc.)
- Help establish practices within the M&C department that become a model for the broader organization
- Provide operational support to the marketing and communications team.
- Manage annual collateral planning, budgeting, and production process
- Pursue and help to manage pro-bono/lo-bono projects in order to maximize the impact of our small team.
- Finally, the associate will support with other duties as needed, including work in PR/media engagement, digital advertising, graphic design projects, and video/photo shoots.
How you’ll do it:
Project management and operations management
- Work with M&C team members and a range of cross-functional teammates to manage projects from conception to timely completion
- Identify and engage with key project contributors on various initiatives
- Assess existing project processes (where they already exist) and consider innovations and improvements
- Be proactive in organizing and managing projects and in communicating outcomes
- Take ownership of projects and lead the thinking regarding key project actions, recommendations, next steps, etc.
Communications and relationship development
- Work collaboratively with regions and national departments
- Share information succinctly, clearly across a variety of media and with a variety of stakeholders
- Develop and refine clear, effective training sessions highlighting social media campaigns, strategies and priorities
- Demonstrate innovative and out-of-the-box thinking
- Generate and implement ideas to innovate on our current practices
- Support design projects and pull in best practices from other high-impact creative you’ve seen
- Manage priorities effectively and ensure manager knows key areas of focus
- Develop project tracking systems and other processes that are efficient, transparent, and can be leveraged in subsequent years / cycles
- Deliver projects on-time or be transparent about delays as they arise
You’ll be successful in this role if you:
- Have 1-3 years of relevant experience in communications or marketing
- Have excellent oral and written communication skills with expertise in content creation
- Think proactively and are not afraid to take calculated risks
- Have strong time management skills with demonstrated success meeting deadlines.
- Have a strong commitment to service and support of all internal teammates and stakeholders
- Have project management experience coordinating the contributions of multiple internal and external partners
- Are a responsible, flexible, and cooperative team-player comfortable working independently and collaboratively to contribute to organizational goals
- Have strong analytical skills and able to develop, manage, execute, and measure programs and be a champion for continuous improvement
- have an ability to prioritize and manage multiple and sometimes competing tasks
- are detail-oriented and organized, with excellent follow-up/tracking skills
- Have strong working knowledge of the Microsoft Office suite and are comfortable working with Apple technology, data management systems, Google Apps, and shared documents
- A solid understanding of internet technology and communication. Experience managing highly engaging blogs and/or social networking sites (and preferably have done so on behalf of an organization)
- Hold a bachelor's degree or equivalent experience
- Can prove eligibility to work in the U.S. legally
- Believe strongly in Reading Partners’ mission, strategic goals, and culture
Bonus Points if you:
- Are an AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, or other national service alum/alumna
- Have experience working in launch or growth phases of organizations
- Experience creating high-impact collateral, such as infographics, and proficiency in Adobe Indesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator
- Experience leading online campaigns, especially grassroots organizing for nonprofits or foundations
What we offer:
Reading Partners offers the full package – great benefits, a great place to work and the opportunity to have a glowing and growing career.
- We offer a competitive salary commensurate with experience. This is a full-time, non-exempt, hourly position.
- We offer a comprehensive benefits package, including medical, dental, vision, disability, life insurance, flex spending accounts, generous paid time off, commuter benefits, 403(b) option, and Employee Assistance Program (EAP).
- We offer an exciting and dynamic culture, and we commit to investing in and supporting our amazing people to grow their careers with us.
The other things you need to know:
- Location: This role is based in either the Denver, CO region or the Oakland, CA national headquarters.
- Travel: This position travels on an as-needed basis and will depend in part on the physical location of the employee.
- Typical Physical & Mental Demands: Requires prolonged sitting with some bending, stooping and stretching, and eye-hand coordination and manual dexterity sufficient to operate a keyboard, telephone, photocopier, calculator and other office equipment. Requires normal range of hearing and eyesight to communicate with volunteers and staff. Also requires flexibility to readily adapt to a changing environment.
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
If you’re interested in joining our Reading Partners team, please submit the following application materials to our online job posting:
- A cover letter describing your interest in Reading Partners and how your past experience has prepared you for this role, and your compensation needs.
At Reading Partners we respect and honor the diversity in our workforce, and we are an Equal Opportunity Employer.