8403 Colesville Road
This position helps support and strengthen Achieving the Dream’s Network impact through the design of high-quality online learning experiences and engagement activities. The instructional designer serves the role of facilitator, innovator, researcher and developer. This individual works with other departments and subject matter experts to develop learning objectives, conduct needs assessments, and design and deliver innovative and interactive online courses and curricula. The instructional designer l aligns practice, activities and assessments to ensure that learners get targeted and timely feedback. The instructional designer also helps the course leads see learning from the user perspective, and designs learning and engagement experiences that are engaging and impactful.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DELIVERABLES/JOB DUTIES
- Work collaboratively with colleagues to analyze instructional outcomes and provide expertise in the planning, development and delivery of high-quality, online learning experiences.
- Design online training courses, identifying methodologies to be used to deliver content and organize the content and flow of information.
- Analyze and apply trends in learning technologies and instructional design.
- Develop learning objectives, structure learning activities, and create visual aids for online interactions.
- Write effective copy, instructional text, and audio and video scripts.
- Devise methods of assessment, such as tests or quizzes, to measure the effectiveness of the course.
- Utilize and build our Learning Management System (LMS) and other e-learning development tools as part of course development.
- Plan and manage course development and design projects.
- Train staff to leverage technology in delivering online content.
- Support staff when they run into technical challenges.
- Bachelor’s degree in instructional design/development, education, educational technology or equivalent field; Master’s degree preferred.
- Minimum five years of instructional design experience in developing online training preferably in a community college setting that includes experience with eLearning technology platforms and learning management systems.
- Background in accessibility, usability and experience design.
- Background in information design and communications.
- Background in instructional design models, strategies and best practices.
- High level project management skills including problem-solving abilities, facilitation, analytical thinking, and ability to drive to resolution.
- Basic knowledge of streaming audio and video, and file types and formats.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to train one-on-one and in a group setting.
- Ability to work productively in both team and independent settings.
- Must be self-motivated and disciplined, with capacity to be highly productive and able to work on multiple priorities in a fast-paced, dynamic environment and within time constraints.
Disciplined Execution: Demonstrated ability to manage work processes effectively and efficiently in order to deliver high-volume, high-quality work.
Effective Communication: Ability to actively listen and thoughtfully question in order to create greater understanding and offer insights that advance problem-solving.
Emotional Intelligence: Demonstrates self-awareness and self-regulation and recognizes impact of personal behavior on others.
Level of Travel Required: Minimal
October 5, 2018
Achieving the Dream, Inc. does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, gender, age, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, or disability (in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act) with respect to employment opportunities.
~ EMPLOYMENT IS CONTINGENT ON A CANDIDATE’S SUCCESSFUL COMPLETION OF A BACKGROUND CHECK ~
Minimum Education Required