FULL-TIME JOB VACANCY
Development and Outreach Department
New York Office
Application Deadline: April 30, 2018
The Development and Outreach Department of Human Rights Watch (“HRW”) is seeking highly-qualified candidates for the position of Associate in the New York office to provide administrative assistance to the New York Committee and Leadership Gifts Teams. This position is full-time and requires availability to work occasional night events. The Associate is based in New York and reports to the New York Committee Associate Director and Manager for Leadership Gifts.
1. Support the daily activities for HRW’s New York Committee, donors, and prospects including conducting research on individual and foundation prospects using various online tools, maintaining extensive files, contact lists and databases, scheduling, preparing briefs and materials for meetings, and drafting donor communications;
2. Maintain the Raiser’s Edge database by updating donor and financial information and overseeing data entry for special events, cultivation initiatives, and leadership gifts received;
3. Coordinate with other Development colleagues and Finance and Dataservices teams to ensure that information about donor’s financial giving is recorded using proper gift designations and awards breakdowns; gifts are attributed to the correct pledge and events; and donor records are properly marked to ensure accurate reporting;
4. Support the Manager for Leadership Gifts in creating and reconciling donor and revenue reports by extracting and analyzing data from the donor database for monthly revenue meetings and board meetings;
5. Provide administrative support including scheduling, preparing for and taking minutes at
meetings, and assembling briefings and acknowledgement materials for New York Committee and Leadership Gifts Teams;
6. Assist with the recruitment, coordination, and mentoring of interns; and
7. Perform other responsibilities as may be required.
Education: A bachelor’s degree in human rights, international relations, social science, or a related
field is required.
Experience: A minimum of one year of relevant work experience is required.
Related Skills and Knowledge:
1. Prior office/administration experience and strong organizational skills with meticulous attention to detail are required.
2. Excellent oral and written communication skills in English are required.
3. Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate with a wide variety of audiences, including donors are required.
4. Ability to work well under pressure while juggling multiple tasks simultaneously are required.
5. Self-motivation and the ability to take initiative, prioritize with minimal supervision, and work independently as well as function as a member of a team are required.
6. Strong analytical skills and the natural curiosity and creativity needed to conduct online research are required.
7. Ability to make sound decisions consistent with functions is required.
8. Proficiency in computer programs including MS Office applications is required; experience
with Raiser’s Edge or other donor databases is highly desirable.
9. Experience with event planning, community engagement, and/or philanthropy is preferred.
10. Strong interest in human rights is desirable.
Other: Applicants for this position must possess current US work authorization valid for a minimum of two years from start date.
Human Rights Watch is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate in its hiring practices and, in order to build the strongest possible workforce, actively seeks a diverse applicant pool.
Human Rights Watch is an international human rights monitoring and advocacy organization known for its in-depth investigations, its incisive and timely reporting, its innovative and high-profile advocacy campaigns, and its success in changing the human rights-related policies and practices of influential governments and international institutions.
Salary and Benefits: Salary range starts at $45,150. Human Rights Watch offers comprehensive employer-paid benefits, including medical, dental, vision, disability and life insurance, an outstanding retirement savings plan and twenty (20) days of vacation per year.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
How to Apply: Please apply immediately or by 11:59 PM ET on April 30, 2018 by visiting our online job portal at https://careers.hrw.org/opportunities/show/?jobid=1625. Please do not call or email. Only complete applications will be reviewed and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
If you are experiencing technical difficulties with your application submission, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Due to the large response, application submissions via email will not be accepted and inquiries regarding the status of applications will go unanswered.