Philadelphia Legal Assistance (PLA) provides free civil legal services to low-income individuals and families in Philadelphia to ensure equal access to justice and strengthen Philadelphia’s communities. From our office at 718 Arch Street, our 70+ employees and 35 volunteer law students assist approximately 8,000 clients each year. PLA provides direct legal representation, referrals to pro bono assistance programs, assistance in proceeding in court without an attorney, and legal advice and information. As a community partner, PLA offers training to community organizations, legal assistance on-site through court programs, education, and outreach. NOTE: PLA is currently working remotely until further notice.
PLA is seeking a driven, detail-oriented content creator to join our growing Development and Communications team as our Communications Associate. This position will lead the creation of high-quality communications materials for our digital and in-person outreach to promote PLA’s work, educate clients, and engage community members. This position will help to raise the visibility of PLA’s mission by working with Development, Communications, and Program Staff to create strategic marketing and outreach campaigns. This is a full-time position based in Philadelphia, PA (temporarily remote).
- Create original graphics and newsletters for social media and email.
- Lead management and implementation of communications calendar, including posting on social media and sending email newsletters.
- Work with team members and unit supervisors to develop new benchmarks, goals, and strategies for communications and engagement.
- Manage ongoing website development and creation of content. Regularly update website with new, relevant information and opportunities.
- Conduct research and attend webinars to learn more about current trends, perceptions, and developments in the legal aid field and communications to inform strategy and activities.
- Engage with social media audiences through comments and monitor social media for inquiries. Respond to inquiries in a timely and professional manner.
- Monitor social media, newsletter, and website engagement analytics and make informed recommendations to improve engagement.
- Create client-facing community education materials, both print and digital.
- Solicit, proofread, and edit communications submissions from staff, including blog posts and op-eds.
- Collaborate with team members to create and deliver educational communications workshops for staff.
- Cultivate relationships with reporters, editors, and other media representatives to secure news coverage that will further broaden PLA’s outreach. Field all incoming media requests.
- Work with the Director of Development to create and implement marketing strategies for fundraising campaigns and events. Brainstorm creative communications strategies to attract donors.
Preferred Skills and Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in Marketing/Communications or a related field
- Proven ability to manage project timelines and work independently
- Minimum of one (1) year of professional communications experience managing social media with exposure to marketing, public relations, and nonprofit fundraising
- Effective communicator and storyteller with strong written and verbal communications skills
- Enthusiasm for creative thinking, problem-solving, and bringing new ideas to the table
- Strong understanding of and experience managing social media platforms, such as Instagram, Facebook, LinkedIn, and Twitter, including streaming on Facebook Live
- Proficient in Adobe Creative Suite (notably: InDesign, Premier, and Illustrator) and familiarity with user-friendly programs like Canva or Powtoon
- Video editing skills a plus
To apply, please submit your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.