2420 Northeast Sandy Boulevard
The Refugee Center Online is hiring a Director of Technology to join our leadership team. The Director of Technology will lead the RCO’s technological efforts, setting a strategic vision for future platform needs while also ensuring our current website(s) and mobile apps are best-in-class.
About the Refugee Center Online
The Refugee Center Online is an international nonprofit organization that operates like a tech start-up. Our mission is to use technology to help refugees and immigrants build new lives. We have grown quickly over the past five years to become the main web platform for displaced individuals in the United States. We have recently received official foundation status in Italy and are just beginning to expand internationally. This is a crucial time in history: there are more refugees and displaced individuals around the globe today than at any point since World War II. We believe tech has an important role to play in supporting the integration of globally displaced migrants. Our goal is to be the one-stop-shop for newcomers to find information that will help them make informed decisions about their lives and their futures. At our core, we believe refugees and immigrants make our communities (and our countries) better places.
We are looking for a strategic leader with strong technical skills and vision. You are likely mid-career and interested in shifting towards a mission-driven organization. You have strong project management skills. You may not know much about forced displacement or international migration, but you are committed to human rights and social justice. You understand that the ability of migrants to access good information is one of the key prerequisites to successful integrations. You have a solid base of technical skills – you understand web frameworks, databases, and hosting operations, and you can scope requirements for most any project and communicate clearly with developers, designers, and digital marketing consultants. You ideally have expertise in Wordpress (or a similar platform). You ideally have worked on at least one multi-language website project and have an understanding of how to deploy, localize and manage international tech platforms or mobile apps. You have leveraged these technologies to deploy digital marketing programs that are driven by analytic frameworks and creative thinking. You want to use your skills and expertise to make an impact on one of the most important issues of our time. You are ready to help the RCO scale our impact and make a difference in the lives of millions of migrants around the globe
Lead strategic and day-to-day tech operations
- Manage the day-to-day operations of the RCO’s US and Italian platforms, as well as current and future mobile and/or web apps. Currently, this includes: two main WordPress sites; two subdomains (including a comprehensive learning management system); and two (soon-to-be-launched) mobile apps (one resource mapping web app that includes database management and one mobile app of our LMS).
- With the Lead Developer and RCO President(s), draft and implement strategic tech goals for the RCO’s international web platform expansion, ensuring the RCO platforms follow current web best practices. This may include at some point switching away from Wordpress to an alternate content management system, knowledge base platform, or custom solution.
- Help RCO standardize our business rules and create a website maintenance plan. Create mobile app maintenance plans. Ensure staff follow these rules and plans.
- Ensure the RCO’s ongoing site architecture remains efficient and well-organized to meet the needs of newcomers in the US and globally.
- Support and help manage tech needs of RCO’s In Your City database
Support development of RCO’s international growth
- With support of Lead Developer, research the technical pros/cons of future platforms for the RCO such as a CMS and/or data management site
- Research, recruit, and manage external consultants
- Provide informational support as needed to support fundraising efforts
Project Management and Staff Development
- Based on overall tech strategic priorities, manage RCO staff and consultants to ensure website goals and project deliverables are completed in a timely manner.
- Manage new website projects and/or future app developments. Create timelines and clear communication structures to ensure successful project completion.
- As needed, train RCO staff on WordPress. Create simple training materials to help future RCO staff understand and work within the platform. Work to make back end as simple to use as possible.
- Oversee, train and potentially help manage Italian contractors for Italian site.
- Support potential organizational name change (including website URL change) including researching and following all best practices to help ensure a minimum negative impact on RCO traffic
- Help RCO improve our domain authority and own our brand through SEO, etc.
Maintain website and related digital apps and/or properties
- As needed, work with other staff to upload new content and/or revise existing content. With RCO content editor, help staff follow RCO branding and style guidelines. Ensure appearance and layout are correct and all text and multimedia (images, video, etc.). display correctly across multiple languages, browsers and devices.
- Liaise with digital marketing team to ensure marketing goals and needs are considered in overall website management,
- Test, troubleshoot, and work with lead developer to fix identified issues
- Regulate and manage access rights for all users, including staff, members and the general public.
- Ensure RCO website and Google docs are correctly secured, stored and backed-up
- Develop relationships with partner organizations in our field to support one-another’s work and avoid duplication as much as possible
- Build relationships with tech organizations to help RCO secure in-kind donations, volunteer expertise, and corporate sponsorships
- Support RCO staff in using Insightly
- Work with Lead Developer to protect RCO users and platform from malware and targeted attacks.
- Work with Lead Developer to meet international GDPR and privacy requirements
- Research and stay updated on plug-in, software, and platform changes to proactively make our site as secure as possible
- In the event of a cyber-security issue, be prepared to respond efficiently and effectively to protect RCO users and platforms
- Manage RCO domains
- Manage RCO hosting
- Manage and ensure site SSL is updated
- Oversee integration of additional technology tools into existing RCO properties (i.e. digital marketing, databases, etc).
- Assist in managing trademarks, patents and other legal protections
- As needed and with support from Lead Developer, use other tools to automate RCO’s work such as Mailchimp, Zapier, etc.
- Supervisory and/or project management experience required
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, especially between teams with varying objectives
- Strategic thinker with ability to clearly scope and articulate tech project requirements
- Highly organized with great attention to detail
- Previous experience working with Wordpress and/or developing and managing websites
- Previous experience working with and/or launching an international, multi-lingual web platform preferred
- Proficient with Google Analytics, website tracking, analysis, and reporting preferred
- Experience with SEO preferred
- Excited to work in a diverse workplace; willing to gain skills to communicate effectively and respectfully in a cross-cultural environment
- Candidates from refugee or immigrant backgrounds are encouraged to apply for the position
- Prefer BA/BS (or MS) in Computer Science or related field. Will consider the right combination of work experience and technical skills in lieu of formal degree
- Prefer a candidate who can work in our US office in Portland, Oregon. Will consider a remote position for the right candidate.
- This position will require flexible hours. You will be required to work at least 25% of your working hours in early mornings (if on Pacific time) in order to be available to work with our staff in our office in Florence, Italy (typically 6am-11am Pacific time)
- You will occasionally be required to work other evening or weekend hours to support website maintenance during non-peak hours and/or in response to cyber incidents and/or to support RCO events and fundraising
- May require some domestic and/or international travel (to our office in Italy)
Health and dental insurance
Generous paid time off and work culture that encourages staff to actually take time off
Flexibility in working hours
Being part of a dynamic, diverse team that is making an impact for some of the world’s most vulnerable individuals
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Email a copy of your CV and a letter explaining your interest and background to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Due to the high volume of applications, only those candidates selected for our interview process will be contacted.
Will accept applications on a rolling basis.