190 Cummins Highway
Brooke is looking for a Director of Brooke’s College Counseling Department. This is a crucial leadership role that requires an ability to create a research-based vision for an entire department, hire and manage staff to reach that vision, and continuously drive towards Brooke’s mission of ensuring that all Brooke students graduate from college.
Brooke High launched in August of 2016 with a small 9th grade class of 68 students. We will grow Brooke High by adding new 9th graders yearly and will have our first graduating class in June of 2020. In order to create a College Counseling Department that is able to provide exceptional support to all Brooke High students, we are looking to hire the Department Director as our first graduating class is starting their sophomore year.
During the Director’s first year, he/she will research college counseling departments’ structures, functions, and successes at other urban public charter schools and CMOs, at district high schools, and at independent high schools. Working closely with the Principal and with input from the Network Co-Directors, the Director will then develop a vision for the Department, which must encompass:
- clear definitions of success and metrics for how to evaluate the success of the Department;
- a sustainable staffing model for the Department that will allow for adequate individualized support for all students;
- consideration of how the Brooke High advisory system will support college counseling and training of advisors to support college success;
- development of a college success curriculum and plan to deliver college prep strategically to all Brooke High students at the appropriate grade level;
- a multi-year parental empowerment plan to share college access / persistence information and skills with parents;
- cultivation of relationships with colleges in the Boston area, across New England, and at select national colleges with specific programs supporting low-income students of color;
- structures and strategies to ensure robust summer opportunities for all students to support college and career goals; and
- a communication plan with all relevant stakeholders, both internal and external.
In subsequent years, the Director will be responsible for hiring and managing all staff in the College Counseling Department. This position reports to the Brooke High School Principal and is key leadership position.
Minimum Education Required