767 Hicks Street
Summary/Description: Advisors help young people learn through academic enrichment activities, review content being taught in school, and support them to complete projects and homework assignments. Academic Advisors meet weekly with the Education Manager and Middle School Team to review individual “participant improvement plans” and explore avenues toward educational success. An Advisor may provide academic support in one-on-one or small group tutoring sessions, and oversees the work of High School Students working as tutors for the middle school program.
Responsibilities: The responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Coordinate with the Education Manager to provide differentiated academic support to participants according to their individual plans, in small group and one-on-one settings.
- Support middle and high school students to develop individual academic goals.
- Supervise group academic assistance sessions while creating a fun, interactive, and youth-focused learning environment.
- Track student progress and provide consistent documentation/progress notes about observed student needs and recording in Salesforce
- Provide 1:1 support for scholars to work towards their educational goals
- Enter relevant information into database and spreadsheets as needed.
- Develop interactive lessons that will assist students to develop academic techniques.
- Ensure that each participant has a folder of enrichment work that relates to their academic weakness.
- Attend staff meetings and planning meetings as needed.
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
- Excited about community-based, youth development work.
- Experience working in an academic support capacity with confidence in math/science or language/social studies.
- Must have strong communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Proven ability to serve as a role model in an after-school setting.
- Ability to create and implement an educational plan.
- Ability to connect with people, provide needed support and demonstrate patience and maintain positive attitude.
- Demonstrated ability to work individually and as part of a team.
Education and Qualifications:
- College degree or working toward degree.
- Knowledge of NYC Public School Curricula.
- Resident of Red Hook preferred.
Please email a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with ‘Academic Advisor’ in the subject line.
Minimum Education Required