The Center for Victims of Torture is hiring a Media Relations Strategist who will be responsible for strategically engaging broadcast, print and online media to support policy initiatives and fund development activities, influence perception and build awareness of CVT’s mission, programs and achievements. Responsibilities include media project planning and implementation, media coaching, social media content strategy and implementation, crisis communications management, management of CVT’s Twitter platform and partner support, and media relations and writing for a variety of projects.
The Center for Victims of Torture works toward a future in which torture ceases to exist and its victims have hope for a new life. We are an international nonprofit dedicated to healing survivors of torture. We offer rehabilitation services to those who have been tortured, train partners around the world who can prevent and treat torture, and advocate for human rights and an end to torture. We are headquartered in Minnesota, and we have US offices in Georgia and DC, as well as offices in Africa and the Middle East.
• Media Relations: Drive media visibility for CVT through a variety of strategic media relations efforts via traditional public relations and social media channels. Coordinate and manage media relations for CVT programs and public policy agenda. Respond to media inquiries, at 24/7 availability. Provide information, arrange interviews and prepare CVT spokespeople. Manage crisis communications as part of CVT Risk Management activities. Collect and distribute all clips to the organization.
• Digital platforms: Manage the CVT Twitter feed, writing and posting new content and sharing coalition content on a daily basis. Plan and implement digital campaigns and implement content on website, email, blog and social media. Contribute to content calendar planning and updates. Monitor and respond to external interactions on social media, 24/7. Serve as back up for digital platforms.
• Writing: Write press releases, statements, op eds, letters to the editor and more, across all programs. Coordinate reviews and approvals. Pitch stories and submit pieces to national news outlets. Develop talking points and key messages for the organization. Write announcements, publications, captions and articles.
• Public Policy: Provide communications support through traditional and digital public relations to advance public policy agenda. Provide expertise and counsel to strategies for CVT’s news media approach to specific public policy initiatives.
• Other Duties: Participate in other department and organization-wide activities, meetings and trainings. Complete administrative responsibilities. Perform other duties as assigned.
Required education, experience, certificates, licenses or registrations
• Bachelor’s degree or commensurate experience in communications, journalism or public relations.
• 4 years full-time experience in issue advocacy media relations.
• Experience using social media to support public policy initiatives.
• 3 successful story pitch placements in national media outlets.
• 2-3 successfully placed opinions, commentary or letters in national media outlets.
• Current connections to journalists covering national security, asylum or refugee news stories
• Story placements in international media.
• Current connections to international journalists covering refugee and humanitarian news.
Competencies (Knowledge, Skills and Abilities)
• Ability to engage in diversity, equity and inclusion efforts within the organization and as it relates to Communications work
• Working knowledge of Microsoft Office suite (Outlook, Word and Excel)
• Excellent skills in organization, attention to detail and time management (including the ability to meet deadlines)
• Commitment to human rights
• Ability to maintain confidentiality and to carefully evaluate and discern nuances of language
• Strong sense of communications ethics
• Ability to work in a non-partisan manner
• Superior interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to collaborate and communicate effectively with individuals at all levels.
• Ability to develop relationships and communicate effectively with colleagues working both in the U.S. and internationally.
• Ability to independently manage multiple projects and work within tight timelines.
The Center for Victims of Torture is hiring a Media Relations Strategist who will be responsible for strategically engaging broadcast, print and online media to support policy initiatives and fund development activities, influence…