103 Charlton St
CMA is looking to hire a bilingual teaching artist who is proficient in Spanish, Mandarin, or Russian.
CMA’s Teaching Artists are practicing artists and educators who facilitate multi-sensory learning and support creative problem-solving skills. Teaching Artists are essential to CMA in that they offer insight into studio programming, exhibitions, and cultural festivals from the perspective of a practicing artist. Within the framework of CMA’s programming, Teaching Artists are encouraged to incorporate their own art practices into creating hands-on artmaking workshops. Additionally,Teaching Artists lead inquiry-based dialogue in the classrooms, gallery, and studios encouraging children and families to apply critical thinking to investigating and creating art.
The successful candidate will work to strengthen CMA’s fine arts and media lab offerings as well as to develop new programming initiatives that will keep CMA current and innovative. Ideal candidates are warm, outgoing, collaborative, flexible and creative.
CMA has the following open positions:
Bilingual Teaching Artist – Fine Arts Department
· Create and facilitate hands-on workshops in the museum’s Fine Arts Studio, including drawing, painting, sculpture, and printmaking. Must be Proficient in Spanish, Mandarin, or Russian.
Bilingual Teaching Artist – Media Lab Department
● Create and facilitate hands-on workshops in the museum’s Media Lab, including stop-motion animation, sound recording, set building, and live action filmmaking. Must be Proficient in Spanish, Mandarin, or Russian.
Key Skills, Abilities, and Experience:
● Proficient in Spanish, Mandarin, or Russian
● Must have a passion for working with children and families, and understanding visitors’ needs, engagement strategies, and educational principles
● Strongly believes in the core values of CMA and is driven by the mission
● Ability to work as part of a team of dedicated professional. Excellent interpersonal and collaborative skills, including the ability to build and cultivate relationships and work effectively with diverse groups
● Commitment to efficient, equitable choice processes and excellent customer service
● Comfortable working in a public setting with large volumes of people, particularly children ages 1-15
● Must lead with positive approaches to behavior and customer service. Will be expected to apply museum guidelines for addressing challenging issues or emergency protocol
● Ability to think strategically, anticipate future consequences and trends, and incorporate them into the plan for workshops. Must be open to learning and incorporating new tools, equipment and techniques. Enjoys working hard, looks forward to challenges, is a resourceful and creative problem-solver able to respond appropriately even if limited information is available
● Preferred 1-2 years working experience in an community setting, arts or cultural organization, museum or educator position preferred and/or a genuine interest in teaching art to children ages 5-15
● Experience writing curriculum embedded with complimentary classroom management and inclusion strategies
● Ability to scaffold and pace instruction for a variety of ages, development/physical abilities and settings. When required provide visual supports (i.e. signage, schedules, process)
● Genuine interest in supporting the social-emotional development of children learning in a community setting
● Maybe expected to collect pre/post evaluation data, document sessions and provide reflective notes
● BA, BFA in fine art, design, illustration, art history, education, or related field preferred
● Must be reliable and punctual; able to meet the needs of your committed shifts
Level of Language Proficiency
Applicants must be proficient in Spanish, Mandarin, or Russian
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply: Please send a resume, cover letter, and online samples of your work to: TA@cmany.org
All applications will be kept in confidence. No calls, please. Eligible candiates will be contacted by email or phone for an interview. CMA is seeking to hire immediately. CMA is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage candidates from diverse cultural and ethnic backgrounds to apply.