Details: Commensurate with experience
2431 Morris Ave
The Bronx Cooperative Development Initiative (BCDI) is a community-led effort to build an equitable, sustainable, and democratic local economy that creates wealth and ownership for low-income people of color—what we call economic democracy. We are doing this by developing a network of diverse partners and community enterprises that currently includes four major projects:
- A Planning and Policy Lab, a center for economic democracy planning and policy development—by, with, and for the Bronx
- The BronXchange, a marketplace that connects Bronx institutions and nonprofits with local businesses in order to localize their purchasing and build community wealth.
- The Bronx Innovation Factory, a center for advanced manufacturing led by women and people of color, focused on shared wealth creation and innovations that matter for Bronx residents.
- An Economic Democracy Learning Center, a leadership development institute that prepares stakeholders of all types to lead this new future; cultivates a culture rooted in economic democracy principles; and advances the overall field of economic democracy based on experiences in the Bronx and inspirational examples from around the world.
All together, BCDI is a transformative model for urban economic development that can serve as an example for other communities across the US and the world. Read more about our work at bcdi.nyc.
Job Responsibilities: In consultation with his/her direct supervisor, BCDI’s Office Manager will be responsible for:
Administration and Office Management – managing organizational operations and office, providing support to staff, handling the company’s general administrative activities, and monitoring office communications. This includes:
- Office supplies and equipment maintenance
- Inventory tracking and vendor relationships
- Acting as the point of contact for external inquiries and communication
- Updating and maintaining office policies and procedures
- Managing team schedules
- Overseeing office appearance and maintenance and initiating repair and janitorial service
- Assisting with meeting and event logistics and planning
Bookkeeping – maintaining CommonWise’s accounts and financial systems. This includes:
- Processing and recording all accounts payable transactions, cash disbursements, debit card transactions, accounts receivable transactions, cash and credit card receipts, and donations
- Generating and reviewing financial reports
- Maintaining BCDI’s general ledger, budgetary systems, and chart of accounts
- Handling monthly reconciliations and assisting with month-end close
- Assisting with preparation of grant reports
- Updating and enforcing the organization’s fiscal policy handbook
- Providing vendor and cash receipts files and supporting documentation during annual financial statement audits
Personnel Management and Compliance – serving as a support for staff and our partner Professional Employer Organization (PEO) for all human resource matters and ensure compliance with local, state, and federal requirements and regulations. This includes:
- Preparing materials for on- and off-boarding of employees
- Maintaining employee records and communication systems
- Updating Employee Handbook and performance review system as needed (under direction of supervisor)
- Filing reports in accordance with legal requirements and advising on actions needed
Required Skills and Capacities:
- Proven experience in office managerial or related field required, non-profit preferred
- Knowledge of office management systems and procedures
- Proficiency in MS Office and Google Drive
- Knowledge of QuickBooks accounting software
- Superior attention to detail, thorough, strong problem solving skills
- Excellent organizational and time management skills and the ability to prioritize work in fast-based environment
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong leadership skills, self-starter, with the ability to work collaboratively and effectively as part of a small team
- Working knowledge of office equipment
- Commitment to social inclusion, anti-oppression, racial, sexual, and economic justice
- Previous Bookkeeping experience a plus
- Spanish proficiency
- Experience living and working in the Bronx and NYC
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply: Please email resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Office Manager” in the subject line. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
People of color, people with disabilities, women, and LGBTQ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. We are committed to a diverse workplace, and to supporting our staff with ongoing career development opportunities.
BCDI is an equal opportunity employer and prohibits discriminatory employment actions and treatment against employees and applicants for employment based on actual or perceived race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, familial status, family responsibilities, matriculation, political affiliation, genetic information, disability, source of income, past incarceration, status as a victim of an intrafamily offense, or place of residence or business. Sexual harassment is a form of sex discrimination, which is prohibited by law, as is harassment based on any of the above-protected categories.