670 Clinton Avenue
The Connecticut Institute for Refugees and Immigrants (CIRI) is a statewide nonprofit organization that assists refugees and immigrants resolve legal, economic, linguistic and social barriers so that they become self-sufficient, integrated and contributing members of the community. CIRI achieves this mission by providing a compassionate array of high-quality legal, social and educational programming and by promoting cross cultural understanding and decent treatment for all. Staff delivers services statewide, primarily in Bridgeport, Stamford, Hartford, Waterbury and surrounding communities, through five direct services: Refugee Services; Project Rescue, serving survivors of human trafficking and unaccompanied minors; Survivor Services, serving survivors of torture; Economic Empowerment, a jobs placement and career development program, and Immigration Legal Services. CIRI also offers fee-based Language Services for individuals, businesses and organizations.
TITLE: DIRECTOR OF OPERATIONS
REPORTS TO: PRESIDENT AND CEO
LOCATION: Connecticut Institute for Refugees and Immigrants, Bridgeport, Connecticut, 06605
POSITION SUMMARY: The Director of Operations (DOO) is a newly created position that will start in January 2019. The DOO is a senior management position that is responsible for all employment policies and procedures and for personnel management. The DOO also oversees information technology, administrative systems, and facilities, and supports in-house data management. The DOO is part of the Senior Leadership Team and the Management Team. He/she supervises the Operations Manager and provides overall direction to the Operations Team comprised of the reception and administrative staff in Bridgeport, Hartford and Stamford.
DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES
Human Resources (40%)
· Create and manage a comprehensive human resources information system (HRIS) to ensure full knowledge of all human resources related matters.
· Act as main point of contact for all benefit plans, e.g. 403(b), health, dental, disability, etc. including working directly with external benefits administrators, benefit brokers and representatives to ensure efficient enrollment, timely follow-up, effective communication with/between employees and providers, and proper administration of plans.
· Ensure the integrity of data, data management, employee changes, timekeeping functions and controls for all HRIS for reporting and analysis.
· Direct preparation of statistical and other information required by public and private funders and submitted in an accurate and timely manner.
· Develop strategies for: recruiting and retaining talented personnel; career/professional development; staff wellness; and succession planning.
· Oversee and ensure smooth administration of annual performance appraisal process.
· Maintain and update as needed CIRI’s Employee Handbook.
· Conduct investigations into employee complaints and grievances related to inter-personal conflicts, discrimination, harassment and other labor law complaints.
· Keep abreast of trends in the Human Resources field through involvement in professional associations, seminars, web-trainings and materials.
Operations Management (35%)
· Supervise, guide and support Operations Team comprised of Operations Manager, Receptionists and part time Operations Assistant, including weekly supervision, employee performance evaluations and professional development plans.
· Oversee all office administration functions including communications, office equipment and supplies.
IT Systems and Equipment
· Manage relationship with external IT provider to ensure efficient and comprehensive provision of IT services including: administering email accounts; managing document access on server to ensure appropriate compliance and privacy; in-house troubleshooting of email and Microsoft related issues as well as equipment set-up and issues.
- Work with external IT vendor to develop and implement a new disaster recovery plan to ensure minimal downtime in the event of an unforeseen or catastrophic crisis.
- Develop plan with specific goals and time frames for increasing in-house IT capacity in 2019-2020 to reduce reliance on external provider.
· Ensure Operations Team’s maintenance of phone system: reliability and security of CIRI’s 8x8 phone system including access from remote locations; ensure operations team provides technical support to remote users in a timely manner and troubleshoot phone system and equipment issues; oversee updates to menu options, voicemail, and other essential phone system functions.
CIRI Database Support (15%)
· Provide practical support for CIRI databases, specifically Apricot (Social Services programs), E-Immigration Air (Immigration Legal Services), and Bloomerang (donor management):
o Collaborate with Director of Programs and Compliance to improve user experience and functionality of Apricot to improve CIRI’s ability to determine required information, collect meaningful data, develop new features;
o Research donor database options for possible future transition that will ensure maximum compatibility with CIRI’s website;
o Run contract compliance reports as requested by Director of Programs and Compliance; run data reports for new funding requests, annual reports, newsletters and other needs.
· Oversee physical plant upkeep and maintenance at main office and maintain good communication with office managers in Hartford, Stamford, Waterbury and Burroughs Community Center; visit each office on monthly basis to build relationships with managers and CIRI staff and to troubleshoot operations issues.
· Participate in annual budget process to ensure preventive maintenance and oversee capital costs.
· Develop and maintain building safety plan; oversee building security systems and recommend upgrades as needed.
· Lead exploration of new office space options in Bridgeport including possible co-location with other nonprofits; collaborate with designated Board and senior staff to explore bond funding options.
Agency-Wide Responsibilities (5%)
- Update Develop CIRI Operations Manual.
- Sit on the Personnel Committee and the Facilities Committee.
- Participate in 2020-2023 Strategic Plan process.
· Bachelor’s Degree in relevant field with at least five years of professional experience in related field.
· Demonstrated professional-level experience with human resources and personnel management; PHR certification a plus.
· Proficient with various software packages and databases; experience in troubleshooting, configuring and installing workstations, printers, and servers a plus.
· Superior organizational skills, proactive problem-solving skills, able to process detailed information accurately and efficiently and to meet non-negotiable deadlines.
· Ability to coordinate multiple tasks, manage details, and produce results in a fast-paced, continually evolving, deadline-oriented workplace.
· Exceptional interpersonal skills and proven ability to collaborate well multiple stakeholders including staff, funders, and Board.
· Demonstrated commitment to transparency, accountability, and continuous organizational improvement.
· Commitment to CIRI’s mission, vision and values.
· Nonprofit operations experience preferred, ideally with vulnerable and underserved populations.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please email résumé, cover letter, and salary requirements with the subject line “Director of Operations” to: Employment@cirict.org