The Learning Accelerator (TLA) envisions a future in which each student receives an effective, equitable, and engaging education that enables them to reach their full and unique potential. Our mission is to connect teachers and leaders with the knowledge, tools, and networks they need to transform K-12 education.
TLA is a nationally recognized, innovative, and growing nonprofit. This is a unique opportunity for an aspiring, high-potential junior leader to ensure our team has the operational support and processes in place to achieve our mission and build a thriving organization.
TLA is looking for a new member to join our dynamic and mission-focused nonprofit as an Operations Associate. This role will allow you to build your organizational, project management, and analytical skills while being mentored by our Chief of Strategy and Programs, who oversees all aspects of internal excellence. If you are passionate about transforming education, this role also offers unique opportunities to explore the education sector and contribute to TLA’s programs, strategy, and impact.
Key skills and qualities of the candidates we are seeking include:
- Commitment to quality: You are energized by ensuring accuracy, thoroughness, and excellence, with an eye towards improving quality and making the organization better.
- Detail orientation: You do not let important details, tasks, or follow-ups fall through the cracks.
- Proactivity: You are adept at troubleshooting problems when they arise. You keep all necessary parties updated on the plan and resolution. You then take any possible action to prevent the problem from happening again.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment: You can prioritize conflicting needs, handle multiple work streams expeditiously and thoroughly, and follow through on projects to successful completion, often with deadline pressures. You are tactful, professional, respectful, and dependable under pressure.
- Organizing and planning: You plan, organize, and budget your time efficiently and productively. You have your own systems and tools and have a natural eye for improving shared systems and tools.
- Accountable: You live up to your professional commitments. You rarely have to break commitments because you say yes to the things you can truly do and ask for help and guidance when you need it.
- Passion for our mission: You are passionate about our mission and want to learn more about the unique role of a national intermediary organization in the K-12 field.
TLA is a national remote organization. The Operations Associate will work flexibly from a location of their choosing. Occasional (up to 10%) travel for board and team events is required.
Administrative Human Resources and Compliance (35%)
- Act as liaison with our professional employer organization (PEO) and other providers for TLA’s insurance and 401k policies.
- Serve as the main point of contact for the TLA team on all administrative HR processes, questions, issues, and requests, including leadership of administrative onboarding.
- Ensure compliance with applicable laws, regulations, and requirements set by funders, partners, and government agencies, such as reporting to state unemployment agencies and various annual filings.
- Collect and analyze market information to ensure TLA’s benefit offerings and vendor relationships are the best possible value.
- Support on RFP processes and selection of new vendors and providers as needed.
- Lead open enrollment and other key HR processes throughout the year.
- Generate regular reports for leadership and external accounting firm.
- Develop documentation and processes related to our ongoing operations.
Internal Coordination and Support (40%)
- Support on daily financial and business activities, including processing of payroll, expense reports, vendor invoices, and financial reports for leadership and board.
- Oversee technology for the organization, including tracking of all technology accounts and renewals, and provide ongoing tech support for the team.
- Help with grant reporting, which may include coordination of reporting schedules, communication with stakeholders, and/or creation or compilation of relevant materials and data.
- Serve as a key member of the operations team, including preparation and oversight of agendas, meetings, and action items.
- Provide scheduling and administrative support to the CEO from July to October 2021, during which time TLA’s Chief of Staff will be on parental leave.
- Take on special projects at the request of the executive team.
Project, Meeting, and Events Management (25%)
- Coordinate meetings, including: preparing materials and scheduling; ordering refreshments for meetings as needed (with attention to various dietary restrictions); obtaining meeting and lodging spaces; setting up conference rooms with audio, visual and conference call needs; taking and distributing notes and minutes; and ensuring proper follow up.
- Lead planning and execution of all offsite events, including site and vendor diligence, selection, and management, communications and messaging about logistics, and follow-up requests for expense reports.
- Provides Board of Directors-related support services including but not limited to: maintenance of Board and Board Committee rosters, scheduling of Board meetings, preparation of minutes and collection of agenda-related materials.
Other Key Skills, Experience & Qualities
- Relevant operations experience, with demonstrated knowledge and experience related to administrative HR, reporting and compliance, and day-to-day operational needs of a fast-paced, high-performing team. Nonprofit experience preferred.
- Adept at using and learning a variety of technology platforms, including GSuite, payroll and benefits administration portals, project management programs, expense reporting software, and accounting programs. Familiarity with Quickbooks, Bill.com, and Expensify a plus.
- Dedicated to upholding TLA’s professional brand and reputation while interacting with all levels of staff, board, and external stakeholders across the education and philanthropic sectors.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills -- including strong ability to communicate in written and oral formats -- demonstrating leadership, collegiality, and empathy to maintain credibility, trust, and support.
- Passion for TLA’s mission to improve learning and alignment with our core values.
- Commitment to and modeling of practices that support diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Experience and/or comfort with remote work.
Compensation and Benefits
This is a full-time position with a salary of $55-60k, commensurate with skills and experience. All full-time team members receive competitive benefits and the opportunity to work in a flexible, culture-focused professional environment.
How to Apply
Applicants should answer the questions in the candidate submission form below as well as submit a resume that showcases their ability to perform in the role. The team will review applications beginning immediately and will continue to review them on a rolling basis. The start date is as soon as possible.
Application form: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfSVEe9c8NbSg8g0h374SK3wSdw8Hqnr9O1gA_JVccmTRPILA/viewform
Equal Opportunity Employer
As an equal opportunity employer, The Learning Accelerator recognizes the power of a diverse community and strongly encourages applications from individuals with varied experiences, perspectives, and backgrounds. TLA considers applicants for all roles without regard to race, color, religious creed, sex, national origin, citizenship status (provided you are legally able to work in the U.S.), age, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, marital, parental, veteran or military status, unfavorable military discharge, or any other status protected by applicable federal, state or local law. TLA aims to be an inclusive organization committed to accessibility; if you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.