We have made it a priority to meet with, and hire from, a diverse pool of candidates - as we believe that a range of lived experiences, voices, and perspectives directly contributes to the success of our team.
Please note we are hiring for multiple Analyst roles in the Amsterdam, each with a particular specialisation. Please visit our Careers page to review all opportunities and submit your application for the role(s) that best fit your experiences. This is a Full-Time Role (40 hours per week) with no option for part-time work.
About the Opportunity
The Certification & Verification Team is changing the way businesses engage in social and environmental impact by carrying out the mission of B Lab Global and providing innovative, accurate, and meaningful experiences to our stakeholders, while supporting each other in trust, wellness, and growth.
Within the Certification & Verification (C&V) Team, the Large Enterprise & Multinational Companies (MNC) Circle oversees the application of the B Corp Certification process on large and complex companies ranging from $100M to >$5B. In doing so, this circle has an important role to play in servicing, advising, reviewing and verifying these high-touch, often high-risk customers throughout their multi-phase and multi-year Certification journey.
As the Certification & Verification team continues to expand, we are seeking a Senior Business Sustainability Analyst to support the growth of companies in the global Certified B Corporation movement.
Senior Business Sustainability Analysts in Large Enterprise and MNC approach work directly with companies to support them in verifying their performance in the B Impact Assessment (BIA) and adoption of the B Corporation legal framework, and completing the process for B Corporation Certification in multinational contexts.
As such, Senior Business Sustainability Analysts work with ever shifting timelines and high priority needs, quick response times and navigate multi-stakeholder relationships. They play a key role in realizing B Lab’s vision of creating systemic change through exponential movement growth.
You will become an expert in developing a path and project plan for completing the certification process, applying the BIA standards and managing external relationships with companies independently and as part of a team. You will report to a Certification & Verification team manager, and work closely with colleagues on the Certification & Verification, Standards, and Technology teams, as well as with our network of Global Partners working in the local markets where the companies operate.
Core Responsibilities of the Role
Functional responsibilities and tasks for this role include:
- Assist companies in completing the certification process [80%]
- Review companies’ B Impact Assessment(s) (i.e., analyzing and commenting on data and documentation about their social and environmental performance) accurately and efficiently during pre-verification preparatory steps and within the process for certification
- Provide customized guidance on the application of B Impact Assessment standards within the context of a company’s unique operating reality
- Manage external relationships with key contacts (e.g. sustainability project manager) at the companies during the certification or recertification process (validating companies' assessment responses by phone, in the B Impact Assessment App, through supporting documentation, and via B Lab’s Site Review processes)
- Provide quality customer service, and manage communications related to the standards and certification
- Guide companies through the B Corp Legal Framework and legal requirement for certification
- Explain the standards, certification requirements, and timelines collaboratively with our team members, Global Partners, key contacts at B Corps and prospective B Corps and/or their consultants involved in the certification process, such as company project manager, HR manager, Supply Chain manager, Finance, and sometimes CEO
- Ensure decisions regarding application of the BIA Standards are made with transparency, reason, and consistency to provide a meaningful experience to stakeholders
- Update records in real-time in the BIA app and in Salesforce
- Liaise with Certification & Verification and Standards team leadership to present on findings and recommendations
- Manage account pipeline and project timelines for up to 20 companies in the certification process
- Provide concrete suggestions for companies to improve their impact, when applicable
- Provide basic technical support to companies using the BIA platform
- Scope certification path & requirements for complex entities [5-10%]
- Review a company's organizational chart and details on its corporate structure, related entities and ownership, as well as assessment reporting information, such as revenues, employees, brands and reporting lines
- Determine a company’s eligibility for certification
- Determine how a company can meet the legal requirement for certification
- Recommend how many B Impact Assessments a company should use for verification
- Determine which certification approach fits best and to inform process implications, timelines, fees and potentially branding guidelines specific to the company to provide expectations of the certification process
- Work with the Complex Structure Committee and relationship managers internally and with company contacts, as needed
- Assist with risk review and management [5-10%]
- Conducting background checks and self-disclosure analysis to identify potential controversial industry engagement or association with negative practices. Drafting follow up requests for companies to inform committee decisions, company eligibility and additionally required in-depth Pre-Verification Risk Screens or Eligibility Reviews
- Writing Risk Screen Reports and delivering screening outcomes to Global Partners and company representatives
- Developing and contributing ongoing ideas and solutions to the Disclosure Questionnaire process and standards themselves
- Contribute to improvements that advance the mission of B Lab Global [5-10%]
- Provide continual feedback to process or department leads
- Contribute to research in standards development or application of standards
- Drafts proposals for recommendations
- Participate in B Lab staff initiatives and professional development opportunities
We encourage you to apply if you have:
- Extensive experience (estimated at 5+ years) in business process management and/or project management, preferably in a role with an external-facing responsibility
- Experience and cultural competency working with or within organizations with multinational operations
- Experiential or educational knowledge of Business, Sustainability, Social Sciences and/or Environmental Studies
- Strong communication and critical thinking skills, particularly involving challenging and technical topics
- Ability to manage relationships and work collaboratively with multiple internal and external stakeholders' and make clear that we need someone that has experience in managing external customer relationships
- Data analysis experience
- Experience with and willingness to participate in creating or co-developing process-related proposals, or changes to existing ones
- Clear and structured written communication with the ability to convey complex information, and at times undesired outcomes, with empathy and with a clear actionable path
- Background in risk management and/or law
- Spanish, Portuguese and/or French language proficiency
For success in this role, you will:
- Relate to our mission of using business to solve social and environmental challenges
- Consider yourself a motivated problem-solver and critical thinker
- Have an eye for detail and accuracy
- Manage workload well with respect of tight deadlines & multi-tasking, handling several projects at any one time
- Have excellent written and verbal communication skills, as well as customer service
- Thrive in an independent work environment (attending virtual team meetings, virtual check-ins with manager, etc.) and be a self-starter
- Work collaboratively across your team, as well as other B Lab divisions and Global Partner teams
- Be adaptable in an ever-changing work environment
- Have capacity and interest to learn tech platforms swiftly or are tech-savvy (B Lab uses a number of technology platforms, such as Salesforce, Google Suite, Microsoft Excel, and the B Impact Assessment.
Please note in your application if you have:
- Experience working with or studying other accreditation programs
- Expertise in one or more of the following industries or business topics: Greenhouse Gas emissions; Corporate law; Ownership (e.g. capitalization tables); Agriculture; Healthcare; Supply chain (including Fair Trade); The gig economy; Poverty (alleviation, progress out of poverty measurement); manufacturing, industrial engineering, biology/chemistry; onsite auditing
Hesitant to apply? Even if you do not believe that you meet 100% of these skills or experiences but believe this role is right for you, we would still like to hear from you!
B Lab offers a competitive compensation plan that includes:
- An annual salary of € 50,000 (inclusive of holiday allowance)
- B Lab pension scheme
- Unlimited sick and personal time - if you need it, use it
- After your first year of employment, 40 hours paid time off for community service; paid parental leave; and a professional development budget (we assess this PD budget annually)
- Allowance to make your home-based workspace more comfortable
- Company laptop
We require the following in order to consider your application:
- Resume and responses to our accompanying application questions. Cover letter is not needed.
If you progress through additional stages in the hiring process you can expect to:
- Complete a one-way video interview via Spark Hire
- Complete a brief take home test (hiring exercise) & participate in 1 live video interview
We will begin reviewing applications on January 24, 2022 and will continue until we identify a diverse and qualified candidate pool.
Please note: All applications will be reviewed by our team, and all candidates will receive a status update via email after their application has been reviewed, which we expect to complete by January 28, 2022. Due to capacity constraints on our hiring team, we are unable to provide you with a specific status update beyond these parameters. Our ideal start date for this role is April 5th, 2022.
If we can offer reasonable accommodations to you in the application or interview processes, or if you have feedback on how we could improve the equity or accessibility of our recruitment, you are welcome to contact us at careers @ bcorporation.net with the subject line “Accommodation request - Senior Business Sustainability Analyst (MNC) application”. Please note that we are unable to respond to general status inquiries or other messages that are unrelated to accessing our application or interview processes.
About B Lab
B Lab is transforming the global economy to benefit all people, communities, and the planet. A leader in economic systems change, our global network creates standards, policies, and tools for business, and we certify companies—known as B Corps—who are leading the way. To date, our community includes over 4,000 B Corps in over 70 countries and 150 industries, over 8,000 benefit corporations, and 100,000 companies managing their impact with the B Impact Assessment and the SDG Action Manager.
B Lab believes an equitable and inclusive work environment and a diverse, empowered team are key to achieving our mission. We’re not looking for candidates who are “culture fits.” We’re looking for candidates who can expand our perspective and challenge business as usual. We strive to foster an environment where all staff can bring their whole selves to work, by their own definition.
As an organization, we stand against anti-Black racism and all forms of oppression including transphobia, classism, sexism, and xenophobia. We commit to a focused and sustained action to dismantle racist systems, policies, practices, and ideologies within ourselves and our networks. As we continue to learn about injustice, we embrace radical reorientation of our consciousness and will listen to the voices of Black, Brown, Indigenous and marginalized peoples to catalyze equitable outcomes for all.
At B Lab an equitable, diverse and inclusive workplace is one where all workers, whatever their gender, race, ethnicity, national origin, age, sexual orientation or identity, education or disability, feel valued and respected. We are committed to a nondiscriminatory approach and provide equal opportunity for employment and advancement in all of our teams, programs. We respect and value diverse life experiences and heritages and ensure that all voices are valued and heard.