The ALIVE! Food Program Director is responsible for the implementation of all components of the ALIVE! Food Program, to ensure food is provided to those who need it in the City of Alexandria. The responsibilities include: planning programs to meet changing community needs and demographics; supporting and managing a volunteer structure to ensure a cadre of committed volunteer leaders who are key to carrying out all elements of the programs; developing and maintaining a system of food collection through community food drives, linkages to member congregations and ongoing relationship with the Capital Area Food Bank; structuring and implementing the provision of food to the community through various channels, partnerships and opportunities; and data collection to ensure proper program delivery that meets current community needs.
- Manage all major food drives by coordinating with sponsors (USPS, Boy Scouts, Turkey Trot, ALIVE! Congregations), scheduling pick-ups and arranging for volunteer assistance.
- Manage relationship with the Capital Area Food Bank (CAFB) and coordinate deliveries and pick-ups.
- Coordinate with chairs of the Family Assistance Program and Furniture Program to distribute food through the Home Delivery Program.
- Manage and supervise all aspects of daily food operations within the ALIVE! Warehouse, to include:
- Coordinating and receiving food deliveries to the warehouse from CAFB, donors, and local businesses
- Planning, loading, and delivering food stores from the ALIVE! Warehouse to Food Partners, Schools, and LSFD sites
- Sorting, storing, inventorying, and ensuring quality control of donated food
- Develop, plan and oversee all Food Program components that meet needs and changing needs in the City.
- Collect, manage and maintain all Food Program data.
- Manage and implement in conjunction with volunteers the client tracking system for Last Saturday Food Distribution.
- Manage a volunteer structure to ensure volunteers are available, trained and scheduled to carry out the many food program elements.
- Recruit, train and supervise volunteer leaders who are responsible for components of the Food Program.
- Provide all required reports to the Capital Area Food Bank.
- Provide statistical and other key data to Executive Director and Development Director for any reports and/or grants.
- Develop, monitor and report on Food Program budget.
- Collect and track necessary information for annual audit.
- Ensure ongoing evaluation of programs, operations, volunteer training and management and purchasing of food.
- Oversee the set-up, organization, operation, sanitation and maintenance of the Warehouse, food pantries and refrigerators. Maintain a clean, safe and efficient operation of the Food Warehouse.
- Serve as liaison to the City General Services Department for any maintenance or other issues requiring their attention.
- Maintain ongoing inventory of food at ALIVE! Food Warehouse. Ensure appropriate inventory controls, including rotation of product.
- Work with numerous partners in the community, such as the City, Schools, Congregations, other nonprofit organizations to align programs to meet community needs.
- Build upon and develop partnerships with businesses and volunteer groups in collaboration with the Development Director and Executive Director.
- Participate in the Hunger Free Alexandria initiative and coordinate with Executive Director on collaboration with all Alexandria food providers.
- Develop and maintain relationships that engender regular engagement of volunteers for ongoing and one-time needs to support the Food Program.
- Bachelor’s Degree required, business or management preferred.
- Experience in managing staff and working within customer service arena.
- Experience working with volunteers to carry out programs.
- Experience in cultivating and developing new partnerships and relationships.
- Strong computer proficiency, especially with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel)
- Experience in logistics, project management, warehouse management, food distribution or other relevant experience
- Effective decision-making and problem-solving skills.
- Strong communication skills, both oral and written.
- Ability to work effectively both independently and collaboratively with others
- Ability to analyze data and recommend action.
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks effectively.
- Demonstrate integrity and ethical standards in job performance.
- Ability to lift 50 pounds or more daily.
- Ability to stand for long periods of time.
This is a salaried, 40 hours-a-week position. It does require regular weekend work, as well as some evenings.
Founded in 1969 as a grassroots movement led by faith-based organizations and community leaders in response to growing concerns about poverty and hunger in their City, ALIVE! is a volunteer-governed 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to providing emergency and basic needs support to children, families and individuals living in poverty and with hunger in the City of Alexandria. Today, ALIVE! is the oldest and largest private social safety net in the City serving more than 3,000 Alexandrians each month, 12 months a year, with the support of 44 faith-based member congregations and over 900 volunteers. ALIVE!’s programmatic work focuses on four (4) service areas: Food, Shelter, Emergency Help, and Early Education.
ALIVE! provides the largest food assistance effort in the City of Alexandria through four emergency food assistance programs: Last Saturday Food Distribution; Home Deliveries Program - Weekdays (through ALIVE!’s Family Assistance Program) and Saturday mornings (through ALIVE!’s Furniture Program); School-based Programs via the Children’s Weekend Care Bag Program and the Family Pack Program; and the Food Partners Program.
Health insurance (shared cost); 403(b) savings plan; paid holidays
Level of Language Proficiency
Bilingual ability is a plus. Spanish
Minimum Education Required