45 West 36th Street
Overview of AJWS
American Jewish World Service (AJWS) is the leading Jewish organization working to pursue justice and fight poverty in the developing world. By supporting hundreds of social change organizations in 19 countries, we respond to the most pressing issues of our time—from disasters, genocide and hunger, to the persecution of women and minorities worldwide. With Jewish values and a global reach, AJWS is making a difference in millions of lives and bringing a more just and equitable world closer for all.
The Director of Institutional Giving manages four development professionals and the institutional function in AJWS’s development division. The team is responsible for raising approximately $14 million and monitoring grants from institutional donors, such as professional foundations, governments, corporations, Jewish federations, as well as select family foundations. This position reports to the Vice President of Development and works closely with leadership across the organization.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
· Managing all components of AJWS’s institutional giving program;
- Developing, overseeing and implementing strategies and goals for fundraising from foundations, governments and other prospects for institutional grants;
- Stewarding a portfolio of institutional funders and prospects;
- Supervising and/or conducting ongoing research to identify new opportunities for support from foundations and other institutional funders;
- Collaborating with AJWS Board members, executive leadership, program staff and development colleagues to cultivate and solicit institutional prospects;
- Overseeing the writing, preparation and submission of all grant proposals, letters of intent, reports and other written materials by the institutional giving department for foundations, governments, and other institutional donors and, when needed, major donors as well;
- Liaising with program and evaluation departments to digest and present programmatic work in a compelling fashion.
- Overseeing the tracking restricted revenue and expenses to ensure budgets are spent on time and in accordance with the funder;
- Overseeing systems for prospecting, cultivation, deliverables and donor relationships;
- Supervising a three-person institutional giving team;
- Serving as part of the Development Division’s senior leadership team, which supports the Vice President in strategy development and planning.
- B.A. or graduate degree and at least 10 years of fundraising experience;
- Experience in managing and supervising staff;
- Strong commitment to the mission of AJWS;
- Knowledge of the economic, political and social issues facing countries in the developing world; international grassroots development experience a plus;
- Familiarity with the American Jewish philanthropy a plus;
- Outstanding verbal, writing and editing skills;
- Superior professional presentation and interpersonal skills;
- Familiarity with the basic tenets of fundraising and the workings of a foundation and/or government fundraising operation. Experience in a foundation setting or large non-profit organization a plus;
- Record of achievement that demonstrates fund-raising skill and experience;
- Computer literacy: Microsoft Office, Excel, Outlook. Spreadsheet and database knowledge (e.g. Raiser’s Edge) a plus;
- Experience in preparing budgets and financial reports;
- Highly organized, detail-oriented and self-motivated;
- Reputation for energy, initiative, intellect, flexibility and talent as a team player;
- Ability to balance big-picture thinking with attention to detail;
- Great sense of humor.
People of color; lesbian, gay, bisexual, intersex, trans and gender non-conforming people; women; and differently abled people are encouraged to apply. We also encourage applications from people of diverse religious, spiritual and cultural backgrounds.
Authorization to work in the US is required.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
How to Apply:
For immediate consideration please submit your application, resume and cover letter at this link:
Applications submitted without a personalized cover letter will not be considered.
We thank you for your interest in career opportunities with AJWS. Due to high volume, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
AJWS is an equal opportunity employer and provides competitive salaries and benefits