Details: Salary for the position is competitive and commensurate with prior experience.
ABOUT EDUCATION OPENS DOORS:
Education Opens Doors (EOD) is an innovative 501(c)(3) nonprofit that believes all students deserve the opportunity to pursue their limitless potential. They have the right to understand the value of an education and how to access and attain all options available to them after high school. Yet, systems of inequity within education are leaving thousands of underserved youth across the country behind, restricting the path to social mobility and economic security. Without a roadmap to success, countless students’ aspirations are never fully realized, as they lack the information and support necessary to achieve their dreams.
Therefore, our primary focus is to open doors for middle school students from communities of color, low-income communities, and future first generation college students. As a result of our program, students demonstrate increased motivation, pathway, and agency to college and career. We effectively are redefining the status quo around college access by legitimizing and increasing exposure to college knowledge for all middle school students during the academic school day.
To accomplish our goal, we equip students, beginning in middle school, with college knowledge. Education Opens Doors provides schools with a comprehensive college and career program that raises self-expectations, increases confidence, and builds skills in students who lack access to this critical information. By primarily partnering with school districts and other educational institutions, we are able to embed our curriculum directly into classrooms. Our team trains and supports teachers who integrate these vital lessons into their academic curriculum. This, in turn, leads to systems-level change, cultivating a college-going culture in every school we serve.
Education Opens Doors plays an integral role in arming students with the knowledge and skills that are necessary to successfully navigate the complex and costly college-going process, so they are ultimately able to attain a post-secondary degree and secure a meaningful career. Since our inception in 2012, EOD has grown from two to ten team members and empowered over 33,000 students across Texas.
Education Opens Doors is seeking one (1) Administrative Assistant to join our highly motivated and collaborative Dallas-based team for the 2018-19 School Year. The responsibilities and qualifications for the Administrative Assistant position are listed below.
Administrative Assistant Position Summary
We are seeking an Administrative Assistant (AA) to provide administrative support for the Executive Director of Education Opens Doors. The AA will primarily schedule meetings, manage calendars, and proactively develop systems to increase the organization and efficiency of the Executive Director. The AA will also be responsible for the day-to-day operations of the Education Opens Doors office, ensuring that it is a safe, productive, clean, and comfortable work environment for all staff and guests of Education Opens Doors. The ideal candidate for this position is detail-oriented, organized, and highly collaborative. This position will report directly to and work closely with the Executive Director.
Executive Assistant (50%)
- Providing ongoing administrative support including scheduling meetings and conference calls, maintaining calendars, arranging travel, and processing expenditures for the Executive Director
- Collecting information and resources required for the Executive Director to conduct meetings effectively
- Proactively developing systems to increase the organization and efficiency of the Executive Director
- Drafting and editing correspondence to high level external and internal contacts
- Other projects, assignments, tasks, and support as assigned by the Executive Director
OFFICE MANAGEMENT (30%)
- Managing and maintaining the physical space (reception, seating, access & security, maintenance requests, common areas) to enhance brand identity, productivity, and staff satisfaction
- Coordinating large-scale events based in the office
- Serving as main contact for office, the primary driver of people-centered service acting as a liaison to building management, local vendors, mail carriers
- Maintain office systems, procedures, technology & resources
- Support the office transition process for new, exiting and transferring staff members, acting as the main contact for office operations and ensuring that they have the appropriate materials (desktop, laptop, telephone, office procedures, etc.) to operate
OFFICE OPERATIONS (20%)
- Manage the procurement, organization, distribution and inventory of supplies, including technology, general office, and shipping supplies
- Ensure all office meeting rooms and common spaces are organized, supplied, and clean daily through an office-wide cleaning management plan
- Manage the office printers and copiers, including supplies and maintenance
- Manage all shipping from the office
- Coordinate ongoing repair and maintenance for the office
Administrative Assistant Qualifications & Mindsets
- Associate’s degree and 2+ years of relevant work experience
- Strong organizational skills, including the ability to manage multiple projects independently
- Ability to produce quality work under tight deadlines with minimal oversight
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills across a variety of mediums
- Proficiency in the following software: Microsoft Office Suite, Google Drive
- Availability to work occasional nights and weekends
- Managing workload effectively and following through on execution
- Making informed and timely decisions, and using sound judgment to prioritize actions
- Writing in an effective and compelling manner
- Identifying and acting upon learnings from both accomplishments and less-successful experiences by reflecting and proactively seeking feedback
- Ability to lift up to 15 pounds (role occasionally requires moving boxes, etc.)
- Experience working with people from underrepresented demographic backgrounds (race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, class, etc.)
- Strong understanding and analysis of timely issues affecting education, including the opportunity gap, access to resources, district zoning, and large district politics.
- Proficiency in the following software: Box, Salesforce
- Mission Oriented: Committed to social, economic and racial justice
- Driven: Possesses a diverse skill set and is proactive about learning new skills
- Collaborative: Willing to propose solutions and ideas to challenges based on expertise, debate their merits, and make final recommendations
- Adaptable: Excited to work in a fast-moving small team environment, where each staff person assumes multiple responsibilities while striving to achieve shared goals
- Self-reflective: Open to receiving and giving ongoing feedback
- Positive: Passionate, sense of humor, open to adventure, fun
Our Core Values
- Purpose Driven: we amplify our impact by pursuing mission-aligned outcomes in a sustainable manner.
- Equitable: we aim to disrupt systems of oppression by prioritizing the needs and insight of the people we work with. We include the perspectives of people of color, women, people who identify as LGBTQ+, and immigrant communities in the work that we do.
- Life-Long Learners: we invest in the learning and leadership opportunities of our team members and partners in order to develop change makers in the communities we support.
- Empathetic: we practice authentic respect among our team members and partners and are deeply invested in the well-being of the people we impact.
- Innovative: we pursue transformative solutions by cultivating an entrepreneurial spirit and pursuing improvement in order to create a positive change in the communities we support.
Education Opens Doors is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against individuals on the basis of sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, religion, ancestry, color, race, ethnicity or creed. LGBTQ individuals and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
DEADLINE TO APPLY: May 1st, 2018
Education Opens Doors is proud to offer the following benefits
- Health insurance (Medical, Dental, Vision)
- Generous vacation package
- Professional development
- Opportunity to work with a dynamic team of change makers
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Interested and qualified applicants should submit a cover letter including salary requirements, a 1-2 page résumé, and a minimum of two references to one of the following:
In the subject line, please include
Your Name and Job Title.
Education Opens Doors, c/o Jayda Batchelder
P.O. Box 601971
Dallas, Texas 75360