22 East 60th Street
FIAF’s artistic director is responsible for conceiving, developing and implementing the artistic vision and focus of FIAF. The Artistic Director will make the decisions about the ongoing development of the aesthetic values and activities such as the production of FIAF’s annual multidisciplinary festival, Crossing the Line, as well as the productions and events throughout the season.
FIAF presents a wide range of programming, including festivals, films, performances, talks, among other offerings taking place primarily at FIAF. The Artistic Director will articulate a dynamic and engaging programmatic strategy and structure and bring together the talents and resources necessary.
- Develops, implements, and evaluates programs for the year
- With the recommendation of the President, develops annual program budget
- Acts as a spokesperson for the FIAF's artistic purpose via speaking engagements, public and social appearances, and, as requested, at fundraising events and solicitations
- Fosters the development of good relations with other cultural organizations by participating in meetings and joint activities where appropriate
- Reports to the Executive Committee Members / Board of Directors to give an update on artistic activity
- Works with the Development department to raise funds to support FIAF programs;
- Strategically analyzes the profit/loss potential of individual programs to ensure achievement of annual revenue targets within a mission-driven program.
Experience and qualifications:
- The successful candidate must be a highly creative, analytical and visionary leader/manager with an intuitive business sense, who will have the following experience and characteristics:
- Leadership experience and seasoned management skills during a minimum of ten (10) years with a track record in supervising people, operations and budgets for an institution known for excellence in the arts;
- Fluent in French and English with an in-depth knowledge of the French artistic scene as well as the New York cultural landscape;
- Proven track record of dynamic and well-balanced programming that attracts and engages diverse audiences, and is financially viable; proven success in implementing a long-range vision;
- Experience working with and negotiating performers’ contracts, including a solid understanding of emerging and traditional artists;
- Personal experience working broadly with literary artists, and academics and other speakers, both within and beyond the realm of performing arts;
- A successful track record of effective staff management – motivating and encouraging a diverse group of talented and creative individuals;
- Possess exceptional external and internal relationship-building skills, along with a strong customer- and community-focused mentality; familiarity and experience with cultivating individual donors would be a plus;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills coupled with problem-solving experience; the ability to make thoughtful, clear, knowledgeable presentations and serve as a compelling representative of FIAF, internally and externally, to a wide range of stakeholders.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills; able to build and maintain effective working relationships, with the energy and dynamism to inspire others;
- An intelligent and articulate self-starter and finisher who is creative, energetic and entrepreneurial, yet collaborative and team-oriented;
- A strategist who is adept at planning, prioritizing, organizing and following through;
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Qualified applicants should send their cover letter, salary requirements, and resume to email@example.com (Subject: Artistic Director). Due to the large number of applications we receive, we will only be able to contact applicants we would like to meet for interviews. No phone calls please.