Assistant General Manager - Help End Homelessness in SF
- Job posted by Delivering Innovation in Supportive Housing (DISH)
Details: This will be a full-time, non-exempt position. Starting pay rate is around $18.84 per hour, commensurate with experience.
481 Minna Street
Delivering Innovation in Supportive Housing (DISH) is looking for fantastic candidates for our open Assistant General Manager position.
Qualified Applicants must be interested in:
· Ending homelessness for Veteran’s with a housing first approach in a harm reduction setting
· Being part of the start-up team for a new supportive housing project with a short timeline for rent-up
· Providing great customer service in a supportive housing setting
· Collaborating on housing retention as a goal for all tenants
· Implementing nontraditional approaches to property management in a social justice and racial justice context
· Assisting in the day-to-day operation of their property
· Maintaining strong occupancy and rental income levels
· Developing a supportive environment for all tenants using a trauma-informed approach
· Interacting with and overseeing vendors in partnership with the Facilities Department
· Collaborating with onsite support services providers, the San Francisco Department of Homelessness & Supportive Housing (HSH), the Veterans Administration (VA) and other DISH site staff in pursuit of excellence
· Providing building oversight and administrative coverage when the General Manager is absent
· Performing a variety of responsibilities, including a range of administrative duties, front desk coverage, and scheduling of desk clerks
AGENCY DESCRIPTION: Delivering Innovation in Supportive Housing believes that everyone deserves a home. Every day, we provide high-quality, permanent housing to San Franciscans who suffer from serious health issues—because with our help, they can get off the streets, rebuild their lives, and strengthen our communities. For more information, visit dishsf.org.
Our Mission: Delivering Innovation in Supportive Housing (DISH) strives to provide excellent property management services to help end homelessness in San Francisco. DISH, a project of the Tides Center, provides custom property management services exclusively to the San Francisco Department of Homelessness and Supportive Housing. Through its work, DISH hopes to demonstrate the healing effects of home and stable community, to reinforce the self-worth of persons who have not had access to a clean, beautiful place to live, and to involve tenants in healthy and life affirming activities by drawing upon the diverse opportunities in San Francisco.
· Demonstrate excellence: In our work and in our interactions
· Stay focused: On what’s most important and within our control
· Under-promise and over-deliver: Managing expectations along the way
· Use initiative and innovation: Improving our services and performance
· Be fair and consistent: Implementing our policies and procedures
· Be mindful and prudent: With income and expenses
· Be respectful and hopeful: With tenants, partners, coworkers, and ourselves
· Be open: To different opinions, challenging discussions, and taking risks
Our Service Commitments:
· Warm greetings & interactions every chance we get
· Professional appearance every day
· Service through helping
· Be present and respectful at all times
· Stay calm in the eye of the storm
· Strive for the best environment to be in and work in
The Assistant General Manager assists the General Manager in the day-to-day operation of the property, and provides administrative coverage when the General Manager is absent. This position performs a variety of responsibilities, including a range of administrative duties as well as front desk coverage an average of two times per week. As a part of the site team, this position helps to ensure a high standard of customer service, cleanliness, and a hazard-free environment.
The Assistant General Manager is a non-exempt position. Non-exempt employees work a standard 40 hour work week. Time beyond 40 hours is at the manager’s discretion. This position reports to the General Manager of their assigned building(s).
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
· Performs administrative and clerical duties as assigned by the General Managers, including those related to tenant communication, tenant rent, tenant move-in and move-out activities, bookkeeping, filing, reporting, community activities, and general office needs in a timely and quality manner.
· Enters and tracks occupancy data, accurately codes and processes invoices, and assists with leasing and move-out processes.
· Coordinates front desk coverage by scheduling DISH desk clerks and contracted desk clerk services. Prepares, updates, and communicates monthly desk clerk schedule.
· Assumes leadership and represents General Managers in GM’s absence and as needed by approving site expenses, coordinating payroll for site staff and managing emergent issues in consultation with a Director.
· Learns and closely adheres to complex regulatory requirements. Collaborates with services staff, HSH, VA, tenant representatives and other DISH site staff to ensure productive team approach and develop programs and activities to enhance health and quality of life of tenants.
· Answers telephone, directs calls and takes accurate messages. Greets visitors as needed. Conveys accurate information to the appropriate authorities.
· Informs the General Manager and other appropriate staff of any unusual activity or facilities issues in a timely and accurate manner. Makes recommendations to the General Manager relating to the general improvement of the building and community.
· Carries out all job responsibilities in a manner that reflects best practices and concern for personal health and safety and that of co-workers and tenants.
· Responsible for learning and following all published and generally accepted best practices for job safety policies and procedures.
· Staffs the front desk an average of two times per week and provides relief coverage at the front desk as requested by the General Manager, including logging communications and building activity, including unusual events as well as violations of the house rules, visitor policy, and other policies and procedures.
· Consistently and effectively implements all Tides and DISH operating and human resource policies and procedures.
· Demonstrates the DISH Mission, Values, and Service Commitments at all times.
· Attends and actively participates in staff meetings and trainings as assigned by General Managers.
· Attends every other week Clinical, monthly AGM meeting, and other meetings and subgroups as assigned. Leads property management portion of the clinical meeting in the absence of the GM.
· Responsible for keeping readily available DISH-provided work phone for calls and emergency assistance and having all business related phone numbers available at all times.
· Works closely with tenants, onsite social services team, DISH site staff, and staff at other sites to ensure strong customer service and effective problem resolution.
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
· Coordinates administrative work with DISH central office.
· Assists in the training of desk clerks and other new staff.
· Provides on-call coverage as directed by the General Manager. Responds to emergencies as required.
· Performs additional related duties as assigned.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
· Minimum of 1 year of experience and willingness to work in a team environment required.
· Clerical or basic business education or equivalent job related on the job training preferred.
· Minimum of 1 year of experience with customer service provision or client relations preferred.
· Professional training may substitute for experience.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
· Ability and willingness to demonstrate the DISH Mission, Values, and Service Commitments at all times.
· Enthusiasm for working as a team member and ability to take direction from a supervisor.
· Ability to assume leadership and take initiative.
· Ability to communicate effectively through reading, writing and typing in professional English. Ability to communicate in Spanish is a plus.
· Skill in basic math is required as is the ability to follow instructions and accurately complete standard templates and forms.
· Ability to use computers and printers for word processing, email, Internet, and occupancy software.
· Proficiency with Microsoft Office software suite, including Word and Excel. Familiarity with Salesforce a plus.
· Ability to answer telephone and greet tenants and guests clearly and professionally.
· Ability to multi-task in a fast paced work environment, and ability to prioritize among competing pressing issues.
· Ability to manage expectations and meet deadlines in a timely and effective manner.
· Ability to communicate effectively with people from diverse backgrounds, including people with active mental health issues, active substance use issues, and histories of homelessness and trauma.
· Ability and willingness to foster a professional and welcoming environment in all interactions with colleagues, residents, visitors and vendors, regardless of differing backgrounds, beliefs, choices and identities.
· Ability to be flexible and to work effectively in a crisis situation. Ability to assess when an incident is an emergency and take appropriate action.
· Ability to maintain a professional personal appearance and demeanor at all times, including wearing the desk clerk uniform while working at the front desk.
· Ability to work closely with tenants, onsite social services team, DISH site staff, and staff at other sites to ensure strong customer service and effective problem resolution.
(These physical demands are representative of the physical requirements necessary for an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodation can be made to enable people with disabilities to perform the described essential functions of the job.)
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to perform moderately difficult manipulative tasks such as typing, writing, etc. Frequently required to use a computer, phone, copier, and fax machine. Must be able to reach, bend, walk, stand, and sit for extended periods. Depending on building assignment, the ability to climb stairs will be necessary. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Employee must have the ability to attend meetings, sit, listen, and use computer keyboard and mouse up to 7.5 hours per day. Must be physically able to visually monitor the hotel lobby area and building security camera monitors.
Incumbent will work in office setting as well as seven Single Room Occupancy, permanent housing settings with onsite social services for formerly homeless individuals, many of whom have significant mental health, physical health and/or substance use issues. Most of the buildings are about 100 years old and have had varying capital and cosmetic improvements. Typical shifts are weekday and daytime. Special projects and on-call emergency response require occasional schedule changes.
This will be a full-time, non-exempt position. Starting pay rate is around $18.84 per hour, commensurate with experience. Compensation includes full benefits package, including medical, vision, dental, vacation, paid holidays, sick leave, and a retirement plan.
Tides Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
DISH, a project of Tides, is an “at-will” and equal opportunity employer. Applicants and employees shall not be discriminated against because of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, mental or physical disability, sexual orientation, gender (including pregnancy and gender expression) identity, color, marital status, veteran status, medical condition, or any other classification protected by federal, state, or local law or ordinance. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records for employment.
Compensation includes full benefits package, including medical, vision, dental, vacation, paid holidays, sick leave, and a retirement plan.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Position open until filled. Please submit a cover letter stating why you are interested in both DISH and this position along with a resume via email to email@example.com or mail to 123 10th Street, 2nd Floor, San Francisco, CA 94103. No phone calls or drops-ins please.